CMP brakes/acc pedal

Markwise

Hey everyone..

I have bought me a CMP, c15 4x2... smile.gif

I have 2 questions:

It's been standing for almost a year now. The seller told me to check the brakes.

What should i look for and what measures should i take?

I've noticed the accelerator pedal does not come back up on it's own. Is this normal with CMP's?

If so, have any of you made some sort of modification on this?

I'd love to know how, because i am thinking of adding a couple of springs or something like that...

Hope to hear from you

Hey everyone..

I have bought me a CMP, c15 4x2... smile.gif

I have 2 questions:

It's been standing for almost a year now. The seller told me to check the brakes.

What should i look for and what measures should i take?

I've noticed the accelerator pedal does not come back up on it's own. Is this normal with CMP's?

If so, have any of you made some sort of modification on this?

I'd love to know how, because i am thinking of adding a couple of springs or something like that...

Hope to hear from you

First off congratulations on the purchase of the truck.

The answer to your first question is dependent on a number of factors the most important one being what form of maintenance and how long ago it has been undertaken. Depending on the the answer it could be as simple as checking levels and bleeding the system or as involved as replacing all main lines and flexies new/sleeved cylinders new seals new linings and skimmed drums, so you can see that you need to a little more information from your seller before you start any work.

As to your throttle, yes it should return or else you have no way of controlling the engine speed of your truck.

I'm assuming that you have the original 216 Chevrolet engine and Carter carburetor installed, so if you look below the manifolds you should see the throttle relay connecting rod (this connects the throttle butterfly to the relay lever that pivots on the block) look slightly forward of this (towards the front of the engine) you will see a small peg with two notches screwed into the block this is where your return springs hook onto, one for the foot throttle the other for the hand throttle. the other end of the springs attach to the carb relay levers.

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks for your reply!

the seller told me the brakes are mechanical and the " springs"(?) are stuck and need a lube...

last time he drove it was last year. He did about 23km's with it..

second: sorry, i should have mentioned it was outfitted with a diesel (perkins i believe) in 1945-1946...

Hi Pete,

thanks for your reply!

the seller told me the brakes are mechanical and the " springs"(?) are stuck and need a lube...

last time he drove it was last year. He did about 23km's with it..

second: sorry, i should have mentioned it was outfitted with a diesel (perkins i believe) in 1945-1946...

There's something wrong there I'm afraid :undecided: your brakes should be hydraulic on all wheels. As for your return spring on the throttle diesel or petrol it still should have a return spring on it.

Pete

Personally, if there is any doubt as to the condition of the brakes I would play safe and go over the whole system.

Visually inspect the whole system for leaks, corroded pipes and perished/split flexible pipes, and replace as necessary. Jack up each wheel in turn and check the brakes are free. Remove each wheel and drum to check condition of linings. Peel back the seals on the wheel cylinders and master cylinder to ensure no leaks - replace/repair as necessary. Finally adjust each drum and check/lubricate the handbrake cable and linkages. That way, you are not going to find out the hard way that you have a brake problem! A couple of tons of lorry can do an awful lot of damage if you suffer a brake failure.

Mike.

Hi

If he is saying the springs are sticking on the brakes, is the parking/emergency brake on the drive shaft or rear drums? If it has the cables going to the rear drum backing plates then it will have springs to pull the cables back into the brake housing. In which case the cables and shield will need to be lubricated and worked back and forth until they move freely. If you can not get them to move back and forth then you will have the lovely job of finding or making new cable assemblies.

If the truck has drive shaft style parking brake there is are springs to return the linkage and to push the braking band apart so that it doesn't drag.

If as Peter asks it doesn't have hydraulic brakes then something is really strange.

Cheers Phil

Thank guys, i will have it delivered to my house on a low loader and then take my time going over the brake system.

the brakes are hydraulic and there were no leaks as far as i could tell, but ill do a more thorough inspection when it gets here!

thanks all

If it has been sitting about you'd be advised to drain all the fluid out of the system and refill with new Dot3 or Dot 4 fluid. Don't use synthtic the system probably won't stand it and the seals go. A quick check is jam the brake pedal down overnight. It's a bit kill or cure, the system may welll come up perfectly, or leack like a sieve.

well it turns out there a no leaks. The wheels turn but i seems the brakes 'stick' once they are applied...

Is that on all wheels or just one ?

the reason for asking is that dependent on your answer there are several different things that could be causing the problem.

Pete

Have you got snail cam adjusters on the wheels? If so, jack up each axle, then back them all off till the wheels revolve freely then adjust each wheel up one at a time. Takes forever but eventually you will get decent brakes, and pedal. May also be one of the pull off springs getting tired. I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but get a couple of brake flexi pipe clamps and isolate each wheel, that will pin point if one wheel is the problem.

Looks like i fixed the brakes. Took it out on the road, backed up and braked firmly. After that no more problems!

now to fix the accelerator...i looked underneath, there is no spring what so ever....

any tips where to attach one?