FVRDE - Wing Numbers

DWS

Question

Hi

Were FVRDE 'Wing Numbers' re-used?

The reason I ask is that I have a photograph of a military vehicle with the 'Wing Number' clearly stenciled on it, the photograph was believed to be of a prototype taken at the FVRDE Chertsey in 1967, prior to commencement of production of the Type in 1968.

I then came across a FVRDE Trial Report dated Jan-Jun 1970 quoting the exact same 'Wing Number' and Type of vehicle.

If 'Wing Numbers' were Not re-used, I may have to re-think as to whether the vehicle in the photo is a prototype or not?

Dave

Edited by DWS

5 answers to this question

Dave was it not the same vehicle?

Ah, now that is the Big question Clive. The B/W photo shows a BSA WD B40 in RAF Specification trim, i.e. Avon fairing, roundels etc. and the registration number 00 SP 77, the Wing Number 7523 is stenciled on the tank.

It has always thought that this was a pre-production photo of the RAF BSA B40GR Prototype taken in 1967 when the BSA records show the Prototype being delivered to FVRDE Chertsey on 14th August 1967.

I have now uncovered a MVEE Trials Report that quotes "Motorcycle BSA B40 (RAF) Wing No. 7523, Dated 4th December 1970" - This is Six months After production of the 135 RAF B40's had ceased?

So you see my dilemma, are the photos of the Prototype or not? Hence my question - were Wing Numbers re use? I know the 'SP' registration numbers were re-issued to other vehicles.

Dave

...the wing numbers were not reused...

Thanks Wally, in that case the photo I have must have been taken in 1970 and not 1967, as was previously thought.

Thanks for the copy of the document by the way.

Dave

Following my research into Wynns vehicles, I have found a reference to wing numbers on the first two Pacifics. They wre sold at Longcross so could be FVRDE. They were 3401 on 30XF37 and 4100 on 30XF44. 700 gap between two similar vehicles does not make much sense. Observations welcome. Thanks.