Ika ja 1ma restoration

diego

Hello friends these kind of jeeps were produced during the fifties in Argentina under Willys license, basically it’s a CJ5 but the engine is not an hurricane so it is very interesting because this engine by Willys design was only produced in this country,they were for the civilian and military use.

My father buy it new and also the trailer in 1958 to do farm jobs so I decided to make a restoration because the jeep was broke. With two friends we went to the farm during 2009 when we arrived and take a look to the jeep, then we say: It looks like a Barn Find!! Then we come towing the IKA jeep with my GPW 43 in second gear all the trip and the trailer with a MB 44 ,240 km on dirt roads to my home the trip took us 2 days and the average was 18 km per hour ..

1.jpg

rty1 (1).JPG

rty1 (7).JPG

01.jpg

01A.jpg

Hello Toner this jeep was disassembled completely and done again I have all the secuence.Some more pics about the trip and a gaucho that was on the dirt road with another IKA jeep pickup, both GPW / MB we use on the trip and last pics are from my Canadian Ford truck when started to lift the body.

12ab.jpg

1abcd (1).JPG

1abcd (2).JPG

1abcd (3).JPG

3.jpg

12a.jpg

The most important thing to note is the engine, a version of Willys USA which originates in the 6-226 16 L Head Motor denominated Toledo-planned 4-cylinder overhead-cam, here was called : Ika Continental 4L 151.

Characteristics:

Cycle: 4 stroke, lateral camshaft, lateral valves.

Displacement (cm3): 2,480.

Number of Cylinders: 4.

Bore x Stroke (mm): 84.1 x 111.1.

Compression ratio: 6.86: 1.

Power (hp): 77.

Speed (rpm): 3600.

Torque (Nm) 11.6.

Speed (rpm): 2,000.

9A.jpg

10A.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

IKA means: Industrias Kaiser Argentina which was established in 1956 here, apparently identical to a CJ5 but with differences: frame, steering box ,6 volts,and engine.

On this I think perhaps this engine was also designed to CJ3B / M 606, due to its high hood maybe to the CJ4 ,. .. reliably as much as the F-134 which what was select for all jeeps.

Data plates, restoration and engine pics :

28 (2).JPG

28 (3).JPG

17a.jpg

23AB.jpg

18a.jpg

24.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I stop here because I decided to change this jeep on a Kaiser M606 A2, modified version of the CJ5 for American military use.

I understand that this is the military jeep that was manufactured in Netherlans too.

Some more pics, the real M606 A2 and my restored sand-colored jeep, all complete thread with a video from IKA factory during the sixties here:

http://foro.aacvm.com.ar/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=167&start=135

Thanks for your reply Enigma.

Regards.

mhste4.jpg

ter25.jpg