Saracen fuel tank vent

trophy160

I stripped out the final internal fittings for painting and this included the fuel tank vent thingy (located on the right at the rear). I assumed it was some sort of non return valve, tried blowing through it from both sides and it seems blocked. Have not taken it apart yet, noticed that all nuts are wired in place - what should it do? The manual says ......

saracen.jpg

I stripped out the final internal fittings for painting and this included the fuel tank vent thingy (located on the right at the rear). I assumed it was some sort of non return valve, tried blowing through it from both sides and it seems blocked. Have not taken it apart yet, noticed that all nuts are wired in place - what should it do? The manual says ......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104235[/ATTACH]

Hi Nick,

I wonder if this is the cause of your running problems? I cannot remember regarding Saracen, but Ferret had a mod. done. I actually did some of these and it was an elaborate NRV in case the vehicle turned over, then it would seal off. It is not unknown for insects or wasps to block these pipes. My recollection of Saracen breather was a normal open pipe because we would put an airline on there to push the fuel through the system instead of struggling with the hand primer.

Richard

Hi Richard, yes that was my thought regarding the running problems. Assuming the fuel cap is 'sealed' when screwed on and the vent is blocked, then it could well be that the tank pulls a bit of a vacuum resulting in fuelling problems. I will pull the valve apart tomorrow, but was curious as to why it was all wired up, seems an odd thing to do on this type of part.

Nic