43 RTR Cromwell

mtskull

Men of 43 RTR posing with a Cromwell (or Centaur?) on Salisbury Plain, circa 1953. All I know about this is that the name of the tall chap with the pipe is Geoff Brittain (the photo came via his son).

Can anybody add any further detail?

image.jpg

Men of 43 RTR posing with a Cromwell (or Centaur?) on Salisbury Plain, circa 1953. All I know about this is that the name of the tall chap with the pipe is Geoff Brittain (the photo came via his son).

Can anybody add any further detail?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103954[/ATTACH]

Ive just emailed a guy (Noel Walpole) who was serving with them at the time, to let me know who they are. I will get back to you with an answer.

Regards, Tim

It also has, like Rick's, the later slightly wider track that was an upgrade on Cromwells at the end of the war, quite often with a higher ratio final drive (to reduce top speed) and better suspension with a slightly higher ride height. These mods were not done on Centaurs as far as I can tell.

David

Thanks everyone; any info is welcome. Rick, I'll pass that photo on if I may; I'm sure there are people who would like to see what the tank looked like when not obscured by the cream of the armed forces...

drivers side bin looks to be behind where the door would be ie not in line with the front plate.

having said that I think I can see the tow rope stowed along the side and not in it's proper F type position on the glacis and I can't see the door retaining keep. so it's a definite maybe !

rick