Cummins 6cta with fixed hydraulic pump p.t.o. on flywheel housing question

rustexpert

Question

Hi,

is any one on here familiar with Cummins 6cta engines and variations of.

I have found one for possible fitting to Mack NM6; this donor engine is off an ex snowplough gritter and has a fixed permanent drive p.t.o. for hydraulic pump fitted to the top of the flywheel housing. It is not possible to see exactly how the drive is transmitted but suspect gear train; or exactly where the drive is transmitted from.

The question I have is can this be removed in entirety and another flywheel housing substituted to make the engine "normal"? The hydraulic pump is not required and would be in the way really

Alternatively; if this arrangement is not removable or even if this flywheel housing is found to be otherwise suitable for my purpose would it be possible to remove the "gears", hack of the "gear" case and blank off the hole?

I can't find any reference to this permanent drive p.t.o. arrangement on a Cummins engine but it seems to be original Cummins build.

Any Cummins experts to point me in the right direction for an exploded diagram. Would be great help.

4 answers to this question

Hi,

Can you post a photo? It doesn't sound like any 6CTA I've ever seen. For a start the 6CTA has the timing gear train at the front end so where would the drive be derived from?

If it is a 6CTA then there are numerous different standard flywheel housings available in SAE 1 & 2 (and very rarely 3), and with top, middle and bottom starter motor locations on the left and right.

- MG

Hi,

Can you post a photo? It doesn't sound like any 6CTA I've ever seen. For a start the 6CTA has the timing gear train at the front end so where would the drive be derived from?

If it is a 6CTA then there are numerous different standard flywheel housings available in SAE 1 & 2 (and very rarely 3), and with top, middle and bottom starter motor locations on the left and right.

- MG

Thanks for response. I cant readily post a photo. The engine is or looks the same as any 6CTA.

I haven't seen this arrangement before hence the uncertainty. The p.t.o. drive "gear case" sprouts vertically out of the flywheel housing as part of the same casting and the arrangement isn't in any part attached or even touching the back surface of the engine block.

Where do you purchase the numerous different standard flywheel housings which are available i.e. who actually supplies them/holds them in stock?

Aha - mixer drive (remember they used to have a pump mounted way out at the front of the engine?). Apart from gearbox side ptos being a bit restricted on power output, a direct drive pump was always preferred for these constant demand applications.

These photos should explain it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISM-M11-CUMMINS-REPTO-FLYWHEEL-HOUSING-3896355-3896387-MIXER-PTO-DRIVE-NEW-T-O-/381201166073

Google Cummins flywheel pto for more info.

Note this particular one is for a M11 Cummins - I have no idea if they do a similar kit for the C Series (the parts might even be compatible between the two ranges). Is your engine M11 or C Series?

If you plan to bin the pto housing and flywheel let me know - might be interested.

Parts can always be had direct from Cummins e.g. at Wellingborough but breakers yards are often a good source.

Edited by N.O.S.