Hello and thanks

Eskibrew

Hi all, thanks for letting me in - I've wiped my feet honestly :-D

Although not a military vehicle, I have a Series IIA landy which I am rebuilding and I've been directed here in case you can help me with some info regarding Army Base Repair Organisation (ABRO). Specifically I am looking at an engine as a potential replacement for my Landy and it is a remanufactured lump with an ABRO badge - see pic of badge.

ABRO.jpg

I'm trying to find out more info so I can figure out if this engine will fit my series IIA.

Does that badge mean anything to anyone?

I can post more pics of the engine if it would help.

Many thanks

Martin

Hi Martin,

I worked for ABRO from its inception, as the REME static workshops I was at, were transferred to this organisation. The plate says the engine was rebuilt for ABRO, which means it was done by an outside contractor. There were a number of diverse companies doing this work as well as some ABRO workshops.

Hi Martin,

I worked for ABRO from its inception, as the REME static workshops I was at, were transferred to this organisation. The plate says the engine was rebuilt for ABRO, which means it was done by an outside contractor. There were a number of diverse companies doing this work as well as some ABRO workshops.

Thanks Richard - that makes sense - I didn't really register the for bit.

I was assuming if ABRO had done the work, effectively as MoD then the quality could be assumed to be high - i.e. no corners cut - however if another outside company did the actual rebuild, that need not necessarilly follow?

It will be from a 90 or 110.

That would be good as it should then fit straight in I think. I've asked chaps on the Series2club about the engine and they were not sure it was - one chap suggested it looks like it might have been out of a leyland sherpa because of the 15j marking but then he said the timing cover looks wrong for that - which is why I was directed towards you guys.

The chap selling the engine says it should fit but can't guarantee it. Mind you, he wants £250 for it and I'm being told that is too much to pay...