DIAMOND T 969 WRECKERS - Two Of Them Painted Red In Yorkshire,1960s.Who Operated Them

OSHKOSH

DIAMOND T 969 WRECKERS - Two Painted Red In Yorkshire,1960s.Who Operated Them?

Diamond T 969 6x6 Wreckers-Heavy Recovery Vehicles-HRV's. Two of these were operated by a garage that did heavy recovery work of lorries,buses and motorcoaches,both had enclosed cabs,had a beautiful rich red livery and were operational in the 1950s,1960s era. Both of these red Diamond T 969 Wreckers were still powered by their original petrol-gasoline engines.

WHO OWNED THESE DIAMOND T 969 WRECKERS And Where were These Located?

I obviously don't know their exact location and what garage-owner operated them,but they were definitely based in the

Yorkshire.......or High Peaks? area and mainly operated in the Yorkshire area.

I recall attending the Barnsley Metropolitan Vintage Vehicle Rally of 1991? (I cannot remember the exact year),and one of the vintage vehicles there was a preserved Diamond T 969,Open-cabbed,Petrol-engined,6x6 Wrecker in military green

livery. It's owner was based in the Huddersfield area,and he remembered the above two red Diamond T 969 HRV'S!:-)

He told me who owned them and their location! Unfortunately,I should have written down this information.BUT I didn't!:blush:

Hence I am still wondering about the location and ownership of these two red Diamond T 969 Wreckers:???

By the way,the owner of the preserved Diamond T had one of the first mobile phones that I ever saw (the "brick-sized"

type),was well-built and had dark hair. Maybe he'll come across this post and provide that information again!:) Please.

I wonder what became of those two red Diamond T 969 Wreckers - they were the first that I ever saw in the flesh-metal

and the experience was magical!:)

Corgi 55602 Model Diamond T 980 Dépanneuse Service D'Incendie L'Orne

So in rememberance of these two red Diamond T 969 Wreckers,I have just very recently bought two Corgi 55602 Model

Diamond T 980 6x4 Dépanneuse Service D'Incendie L'Orne Heavy Recovery Vehicles,painted in glorious overall red just like the above two Diamond T 969 HRV's!:) :-

Corgi 55602 Model Diamond T 980 Dépanneuse Service D'Incendie L'Orne

Diamond T 981 Holmes W-45 Recovery Crane-equipped,6x4 Heavy Recovery Vehicle,225 KI 61,Fire Service Department,No.61,Orne,Lower Normandy,France.Corgi No.55602.One of 5000 made.HMVF V F #:-

16478587166_d550cd650c_z.jpgDiamond T 981 Holmes W-45 Recovery Crane-equipped,6x4 Heavy Recovery Vehicle,225 KI 61,Fire Service Department,No.61,Orne,Lower Normandy,France.Corgi No.55602.One of 5000 made.HMVF. V F#

NOTE:Corgi has made several versions of what it terms the Diamond T "980 Series",such as USA Army M20 Ballast Road

Locomotive-Tank Transporter,a USA Army "969" Wrecker,a Pickfords Heavy Haulage Ballast Road Locomotive,a Sunter Bros

Heavy Haulage Ballast Road Locomotive,a John Thurston Joy Amusements Showmans Ballast Diesel Road Locomotive,a Wynns Heavy Haulage Ballast Road Locomotive,a Harris Fun Fairs Showmans Ballast Diesel Road Locomotive and so on.

But it is obvious that at least some of these Diamond T 980 Series Corgi models are 981 models,as is the Corgi 55602

Diamond T 981 6x4 Heavy Recovery Vehicle,225 KI 61,Fire Service Department,No.61,Orne,Lower Normandy,France,of which I've just bought two - one from France and one from the Netherlands.......I'm still awaiting the one from Holland.

They are great motor vehicles - both in real life full size and scale model - in their own right!:)

Anyway,I hope this post and the photograph will spark some memories and solve the mystery of those Yorkshire-based,two beautiful red Diamond T 969 6x6 Wreckers - Heavy Recovery Vehicles - Breakdown Lorries - Motor Trucks:)

Thanks.

OSHKOSH

Edited by OSHKOSH

Well I dont know about these two, but I posted a while ago about the two operated out of Dewsbury, and the same fella had a Martian wrecker.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?18513-The-Dewsbury-Diamond-T-s&highlight=Dewsbury+diamond

There was also another 980/981 under a sheet on the Leeds Road in a lorry garage, just on the border between Norristhorpe and Liversedge. It is parked next to an explorer/ pioneer also sheeted up and as of this morning was still visible on crapple maps.

Not a bad haul for a 5 mile radius!

Heybeck garage is the firm at soothill dewsbury he had 2 diamond Ts 980s up until recently one has a converted sleeper cab the other was pretty standard that sold about 2 month ago theirs colours were blue and light blue.

The other diamond on the leeds road belongs to Teales he also has a scammell explorer.His are painted blue/black white.

Heybeck garage is the firm at soothill dewsbury he had 2 diamond Ts 980s up until recently one has a converted sleeper cab the other was pretty standard that sold about 2 month ago theirs colours were blue and light blue.

The other diamond on the leeds road belongs to Teales he also has a scammell explorer.His are painted blue/black white.

That's the fellas - do you know if the 980 has gone far?

Highway Recovery used to operate out of Barnsley and they had red machines during the later of the time period Oshkosh refers to. I wasn't interested in MV's at the time so never took notice of what they had, other than they had a big selection of large vehicles, including what I took to be modern Yank machines. Maybe some were older?

Edited by No Signals

there's still 2 diamond T's in fletchers trailer hire, ashton under lyne, I've asked a few times if the guy will sell them and he wanted £10k each, shame because by the time he dies and his son sells them they will be nothing but scrap.

rust in peace

rick