WW1 Pierce Arrow

Great War truck

Seb just brought this to my attention. From the shape of the angles to hold the rad protector it looks to be ex US Army. Quite a lot of money but less than the Banfield one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131394740309?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What a find! All the data / instruction plates evident as well, looks in excellent condition for its age.

Are the front towing hooks that pivot on the spring shackle pin not a British feature, where as the Americans used pig tail type hooks bolted direct to the chassis rail ? They could easily have been added of course.

Given that there are people on this forum actually making the majority of their restored WW1 trucks it is amazing to see something unrestored but so complete, and it does save an enormous amount of time and effort. It shows that they are still out there.

David

If it is the one I think it is, it was used to carry a piece of grain processing equipment, a huller or a winnower, and spent most of the year in a barn, only being brought out for the harvest. It is in wonderful condition with little wear and deserves to be back on the road.

Steve

Some information herewith about dating your Pierce-Arrow, published many years ago in Old Motor magazine and from reliable sources. If in fact this is a R9 these were introduced from July 1919 with serial numbers 15xxx. Have restored an R7 and R8, they are well built and good runners. Many gave good service to Union Cartage out of the London Docks and in the sand and gravel business in west London for many years after WW1.

PA478.jpg

Richard Peskett.

I thought I should copy across the photos from E bay in case it disappears:

_574_zps384ba1be.jpg

_572_zps55cc70a7.jpg

_573_zpsb87fe78d.jpg

_575_zpsfe51f261.jpg

Looks to be in super condition although the tyres look a little odd. I do hope someone buys it.

Dave, you are right in saying that "pig tail" type hooks were used on US trucks, but Pierce Arrow did use the swinging on the shackle pin type instead and these were certainly seen on trucks in US Army service.

If it has come from Canada it would be very unlikely to be ex British, but if it is from 1919 then it is possibly not military, although of course the US army did keep buying trucks after the armistice until they negotiated their way out of their contracts.

Lots of interesting WW1 trucks still in Canada, but the numbers are getting less all the time (so I am told) ; )