What APC/IFV to chose?

Actual

Question

Hello there. I am thinking about buying a used APC/IFV but i am not sure what i should chose? i am thinking having a amphibious vehicle that can run in water and on land for attending in some airsoft events, and for having fun offroad and maby display it at some events maby. But what to chose? BTR60, OT90, OT64 or is the FV432 any good? i am thinking about a demilitarized vehicle without the gun barrel and without a turret maby. But what to chose?

16 answers to this question

Tracked vehicles are awesome, but they experience very high wear and tear on roads and need massive amounts of maintenance. Unless you have some experience with them, you will be surprised at how little driving you get to do and how much work is needed to keep them operational. Costs are phenomenal.

Wheeled armour is slightly better, but still needs a lot of maintenance.

For my money, I would (and did!) go for a Saracen. They are reasonably well behaved and are easy enough to drive on the road. Spare parts are both available and affordable and, as a bonus, you can seat 11-12 people in it.

Cheers,

Terry

1st - Don't use Mortar Investments - Use STV Group (Same place, same stock, different people). Tell them Mark in the UK sent you.

2nd - Track vehicles are no more arduous to work on than wheeled vehicles. I know because I work on both.

3rd - FV432 APC is not amphibious.

If I had to pick a vehicle for your requirements I'd go for a BV206. Great fun, simple mechanics, loves the water, snow, mud and anything else you can throw at it. Road legal too.

SeanVisit025_zps47be0ac8.jpg

If it has to be armoured, the Russian Czech kit is good but the width thing is an issue plus if it's tracked - driving on the road is a no no if it has metal tracks.

A FUG OT65 is a great piece of kit - not wide, simple mechanics, armoured and wheeled plus it loves water. Reasonably cheap too.

Fug_zps5e6a53f7.jpg

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops

I think it is, technically, though I'm not sure you'd want to try it. There's certainly fittings for a screen around some of them and I'm sure I've seen photo's of mark 1s with a splash board mounted on the front.

A late friend was involved in the amphibious trial of the 432, in his words it's not for the faint hearted a 432 afloat the drivers handbook on the Mk-1 covers the subject

What do you mean by "long distances"? I'd suggest that no AFV is suitable for really long distance driving, either tracked or wheeled.

Andy

I am thinking about distances like 100km. But transporting it on a trailer will get expensive when going to events i think.

Edited by Actual

I am thinking about distances like 100km. But transporting it on a trailer will get expensive when going to events i think.

I have a friend who drives a 432 on 60 mile round trips but it's taking its toll on the tracks. The issue with driving these vehicles for long distances is that they cost a fortune in fuel (typically 3 or 4 mpg) and will eventually break, leaving you with a recovery problem and associated bill. If you want to do a lot of long distance mileage you might find it makes economic sense to buy a trailer, and that may well dictate the sort of AFV you can put on it.

Andy

I think it is, technically, though I'm not sure you'd want to try it. There's certainly fittings for a screen around some of them and I'm sure I've seen photo's of mark 1s with a splash board mounted on the front.

Technically correct Lauren but I regard "proper" amphibious vehicles as those that plunge into the water and come out again without having to mess around with flotation screens and the associated messing about.

Mark

Technically correct Lauren but I regard "proper" amphibious vehicles as those that plunge into the water and come out again without having to mess around with flotation screens and the associated messing about.

Mark

Indeed - you wouldn't want to get involved with this sort of thing .... :nut:

Abbot Swimming.jpg

Andy