Two steel helmet finds (charity shop)

austromunga

Hi all

Here's two tin lids found in a charity shop last week...

one I think is Belgian M51... 1971 dated liner (decal on liner a bit of a giveaway) with later composite type helmet cover( incorrect!!! American cover???)and chin strap looks new/replaced (also American??).

The other is a MK 4/5 British "turtle" helmet, the shell is dated 1952, liner is upgraded 1978 type suspension and sock label is 1980... with a 68' pattern DPM smock hood as cover, net and scrim !!!

one of the swivels is missing and an old (original??) chinstrap is tied to the helmet net!!

Its not often I find helmets!!!.. think this makes about 4 in total over the past 10 or so years!!!

one was a wrecked Brit MK II tommy fire warden relic, the other was a Brit MK II in very good nick.. but with a later M1 type west German liner!! sold both of em at a militaria show 4 years ago!!!

comments please!!

regards

Paul

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

Are these going to be added to your collection?

Yes these are both helmets I didn't have already!! double luck!!!!!

The Belgian one for my M1 clone collection and the Turtle for my British 68' pattern display.

I sold off all my spares,unwanted duplicates 4 years ago, to make room for others.... like these!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Does the camoflage helmet cover in the first pic have small velcro tabs along it's bottem edge? I think it might be a cover for the 1st gen kevlar "Fritz" helmets used by the US..... which might explain why it seems to fit oddly over that M51 steel pot.

* I also have the odd feeling that I'm incorrect and that the cover isn't actually US in origin.

Matt

Hi

yes it looks very much to be a PASGAT type cover, it has the Velcro tabs... but with some missing and the rest are coming unstitched,

on the inside at the top it has a printed makers mark however its badly faded ... can just make out the top line "cover helmet Camouflage "