Mack NM6 drawbar question

rustexpert

Question

I have found a complete spare rear drawbar assembly for the Mack; I assume that all or at least the drawbar hook/spindle part are common to several heavy tractors and I was hoping that the hook/spindle would replace the missing front coupling on my Mack NM6. The front coupling is not apparently provided with any pushing shock load springing like the rear assembly but the socket that it fits into is basically the same apart from the spindle appears about 1.5" too long.

Does any one know if the front and back hook/spindle component are in fact supposed to be the same or different?

I think if the extra length doesn't actually get in the way of the proposed replacement engine crank pulley ( it clears the existing engine); that I should make a collar to use the space between the mounting and the retaining nut; maybe there is supposed to be a rubber/metal sandwich shock absorbing element in this gap. Any comments?

If any one has a correct front drawbar and needs a rear one obviously I would trade.

To shorten the drawbar spindle wouldn't be impossible as it can be mounted in a lathe between the centres it has from when it was produced and hoping it is still straight picking up the thread and extending it down the shaft a bit.

5 answers to this question

Hello rustexpert, have you any thoughts on a replacement engine ?

Chris.

I examined various options regarding the replacement engine. It is thought that a Cummins L10 fits in the gap but starter position on an L10 is usually in way of the steering box and when I waved a tape measure around an L10 (still in an ERF) it seemed about 4 inches longer. Neither of these issues is such a big deal.

I am currently waiting to go and see someone who has an NM6 with a Scania about 200 h.p. fitted and he said that the starter also had to be moved but otherwise not too stressful a conversion involving a new fabricated sump and oil pick up.

Although I have seen this truck several times before and after conversion I didn't study the conversion in detail at the time.

Do you have a Mack NM, CRSCS?

Hi,

I'd go for a Cummins C series: 8.3l turbo, available as charge-air cooled with 265hp as standard spec. Numerous clutch housing options to put the starter wherever you want it (high, low, left and right sides). SAE pattern means the original box will bolt straight on or with minimal adaption. Rev range is comparable to the original. If an L10 is 4" too long a C will fit in no problem. Tin sump means modification to clear diff etc. is easy.

- MG

Someone has actually put an L10 into a Mack, so they must fit somehow. Cummins 6cta is a possibility; they are highly sought after engines.

I'm not looking for any more power than 200 h.p. really. I have always found a large unstressed engine to be more efficient and reliable than a higher stressed one of less capacity. Ultimately fuel efficiency is a goal for this conversion.

However has anybody any thoughts on the drawbar question?