White M3 Halftrack

scotty71

• 5 months later...
Hi, just would like to show my current restoration project. It's my first foray into the world of MV restoration. The vehicle's a mid 1943 White M3 Halftrack. After researching it's history by the serial number, it appears that my vehicle was originally an early M16 version. I will be restoring it back to an M3 version.

I have learnt a lot about these vehicles and what operating systems they had and how they operated. This will be a long restoration as I am still learning and as I am mostly on my own doing this so, doing a bit here and there is slowly getting the work done.

I am also located in Australia where halftracks are a rarity. I have to get parts from either the US or the UK as there are no parts over here.

Anyway just to tempt you with what is to come here is a before photo and also the current condition of the project, and as you can see I have been busy......:-D

Hope you enjoy the journey as much as I will.

Any more progress on the project?

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like it'll be quite a lot of fun (and a bit of an arse-ache at times), I'm looking forward to reading your progress, and think I'll stick to my Range Rover at the moment

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering, why are you not restoring it as an M16? If it was built as M16, they are a lot more rare than M3, M5, etc.

If you are not hellbent on authenticity, BAIV in Netherlands sells repro armor (ask for Ivo). They restore halftracks and are knowledgeable about the process.