WW1 FWD Truck

Starfire

Hi All,

Here are some (bad) pictures of the FWD truck that our museum will be restoring in the future, provided that we can sort out our current problems with funding for the museum site, that is.

I know that it's a 1917 FWD truck, that it was fitted with a factory pneumatic tyre kit at some stage and then was imported from the UK to Australia for use on a farm in northern South Australia. I also know that we don't have an engine or a set of solid wheels for it. There are a number of other parts for it in storage, including the radiator, gearbox and transfer case.

Other than that, I don't know very much about it, but I will hassle the workshop guys when I see them next to try and get some more info and maybe open up the cage for some better photos.

WP_20140727_010.jpg

If anyone has any relevant information about these vehicles or can spot anything unusual about ours, please let me know.

Cheers,

Terry

WP_20140727_008.jpg

WP_20140727_009.jpg

Hi Terry

Is it the same one as this?

BobMoseley4_zps84202d75.jpg

Cant tell you much about it really. From the tow hook on the front it looks to be an ex WD one and that is about it.

Did you have the chassis or makers plate?

More photos would help, particularly of the rear end of the chassis from above.

As for finding an original engine and wheels, well I would think that you were in the best part of the world for that.

Hi Terry

Is it the same one as this?

Cant tell you much about it really. From the tow hook on the front it looks to be an ex WD one and that is about it.

Did you have the chassis or makers plate?

More photos would help, particularly of the rear end of the chassis from above.

As for finding an original engine and wheels, well I would think that you were in the best part of the world for that.

I honestly don't know much about it, as I don't work in the workshop at the museum and my main interest is Cold War equipment. I largely joined the Military Vehicle Preservation Society of South Australia to assist in getting my Saracen registered under our historic registration scheme. The fact that they ran the museum was somewhat incidental, however, I've somewhat fallen in love with the museum and have since become their webmaster and spend a fair amount of time there each week (mostly working on my Saracen, which is in storage there at the moment).

I've only posted this up as the museum president pointed out what it was to me and I had seen some of the amazing WW1 build up threads on here. I figured some of you guys may be interested. Prior to that, I'd paid about as much attention to it as some of the other bare chassis (such as CMPs) floating around in the storage areas at the museum (i.e. very little).

Where will I find the chassis number or markers? I'll try and open up the cage and get some better photos on Sunday, if I can make it down to the museum (I may have to work this weekend instead).

Cheers,

Terry

I largely joined the Military Vehicle Preservation Society of South Australia to assist in getting my Saracen registered under our historic registration scheme.

Cheers,

Terry

Don't want to hijack this thread as the FWD is one on my wish list, but where did your Saracen come from? It is not one of the 28 APC version or the 2 fittters vehicles the Australian army had. Is it a Hong Kong import?

Regards Rick.

Have a look at the inside top left of the scuttle. If there are no data plates there even the location of the screw holes might be a clue. In fact the location of any screw holes might be interesting to see. Could you photograph the back part of the chassis from above, rear tow hook, gearbox cover might be useful as well. I think that will do for a start.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

There are a few more photos that I haven't uploaded and I can get detail shots if anyone would like them.

On the whole, it looks to be very restorable, with no obvious damage or significant rust. Even the radiator cores look good.

Other than the gearbox numbers, I couldn't find any identifying marks on the chassis, but I didn't crawl around too much, as it was a bit of a struggle dodging all of the pigeon poo :P There was a placard attached to the back of the radiator shroud, but it was rusted beyond recognition.

Cheers,

Terry

OK. That is very helpful. British Army centre rear tow hook and front army hooks so an ex WD wagon. I cant tell for sure but it looks like the post war extra wide radiator. Almost certainly war time truck rebuilt post war for colonial service. Good luck in finding an original engine.

Thanks for posting these pictures.

Rebuilt by and for who? Military or civilian?

As to the engine, I am sure there is one lying somewhere in a scabby piece of outback, just waiting to be found...

trevor

Possibly. There will be a stampede if one is found.

The surplus military FWD's came back to the UK with the majority being stored at Slough prior to rebuild and disposal by a Government owned depot. The whole site was then sold off and the FWD's were rebuilt for disposal to non military customers. A bit of background on the estate here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slough_Trading_Estate