Can anyone identify what WWII vehicle L5197115?

billh35

Question

I have found a photograph showing 4 semi-derelict AEC buses which I believed were RASC vehicles during WWII in which the rear end of vehicle fleet number L5197115 appears. It looks like some sort of flat bed truck (I can only see the nearside rear corner and fleet number).

I am trying to ascertain if these 4 buses were used by RASC in Northern Ireland and were subsequently transferred to the NIRTB in 1943.

I am therefore wondering if L5197115 was used in Northern Ireland?

(I can't upload the image as I don't have copyright approval and the original image is held by a commerical photo library.)

5 answers to this question

I have found a photograph showing 4 semi-derelict AEC buses which I believed were RASC vehicles during WWII in which the rear end of vehicle fleet number L5197115 appears. It looks like some sort of flat bed truck (I can only see the nearside rear corner and fleet number).

I am trying to ascertain if these 4 buses were used by RASC in Northern Ireland and were subsequently transferred to the NIRTB in 1943.

I am therefore wondering if L5197115 was used in Northern Ireland?

(I can't upload the image as I don't have copyright approval and the original image is held by a commerical photo library.)

This census number is from a group of various vehicles which were ex-M of H.S. .... which I assume was Ministry of Home Security.

The RASC was formed to provide transport for troops as a prelude to a perceived threat of German invasion from 1939-1941. They were apparently based at Gosford Castle in Co. Armagh and the unit was disbanded in 1943 and the vehicles transferred to the Northern Ireland Road Transport Board to meet their increased vehicle requirement for moving troops around N.I.

The Ministry of Home Security operated across the whole of the UK so the photo could have been taken anywhere I guess.

The RASC was formed to provide transport for troops as a prelude to a perceived threat of German invasion from 1939-1941. They were apparently based at Gosford Castle in Co. Armagh and the unit was disbanded in 1943 and the vehicles transferred to the Northern Ireland Road Transport Board to meet their increased vehicle requirement for moving troops around N.I.

The Ministry of Home Security operated across the whole of the UK so the photo could have been taken anywhere I guess.

Bill,

The RASC was formed long before WW2. The statement in my previous post was from information in the Vehicle Census number list. I interpreted it as being a number from a batch allocated for vehicles taken into army service that had previously come from the M of HS, which could include Civil Defence, etc.

regards, Richard