What documents should I ask for when Jeep shopping?

IdleBaldy

Question

Hi all,

I have been to look at a couple of "ww2 Willys" for sale this last month- 1 was a post war CJ with a GPW grill and lights fitted, and the other had more plastic bodywork than Joan Rivers.

So still looking, and certainly not buying until my experienced advisers get back from Normandy next week.

One thing I wasn't sure of was what documents I should be asking to see when looking at buying? (for use in UK).

I understand recent imports need Nova? registrations.

Do these things need V5s from DVLA?

Is there anything else I should ask to see in terms of docs?

Thanks for any advice.

2 answers to this question

NOVA is for notifying HMRC the vehicle has been imported permanently. It's supposed to be done by the importer within 14 days of import, so really it should already have been done for any unregistered import Jeep you look at.

If it was me looking at an unregistered import vehicle, I'd want to see documentary evidence that the import duty and (if appropriate) VAT has already been paid - there should be a certificate to say so - unless you know it hasn't and the price has been adjusted downwards accordingly.

I'd also want to see documentation identifying the vehicle, tying it to the person who imported it or is trying to sell it to you, and giving the original year of manufacture or first use.

For a registered vehicle you should see a current V5 and some documentary evidence connecting the vehicle to the person who's trying to sell it to you (cynical, me?).

Generally the more documentation and provenance the better.