Daimler Ferret brake adjuster query

Grasshopper

Technical question - I had to de-adjust my Ferret brake shoes to get the brake drum back on. When I wound the outer adjuster bolt in and out, I can see the adjuster mechanism working for the top shoe. When I wound the inner collar for the bottom shoe, both sets of adjuster gears wound. Now the adjuster collar spins round and round and nothing moves! What is the likely cause of this problem, and can I assume that this will require the brake shoes/carriers to be stripped off (yet again!) in order to repair it? I did test it prior to reassembly and all seemed to work ok. Is it easier to remove the hub to work on the brake assemblies? I did manage to unseize a brake tappet without removing the hub.

Additionally, does anyone have any tips for fitting the return springs to the shoe carriers? Very fiddly and annoying to do.

Hi Vince,

Suggest you wind in both adjusters, if you have the drum off you can or should see this happen, as the bottom shoe pin (for want of a better word) goes in and as does the top shoe pin.

With the drum fitted, wind out (clockwise) the adjuster which is the outer square of the two adjusters until the shoe contacts the drum, then wind in again clockwise the hex bolt head (or inner adjuster head) until the opposing shoe contacts the drum. Then tweak both as required.

There is generally some small free play in the wheel if its off the road and the amount of wheel rock can determine if the shoe is in contact with the drum, the correct way is to jack up the vehicle completely off the ground or at least one side in turn,

It is possible to mal-adjust the brakes such that only one shoe contacts the drum, it is also possible again through maladjustment to damage the adjuster, the damage can be seen with the drum off if one observes how it works.

When all wheel brakes have been adjusted the next move is to adjust the linkage such that when the handbrake is pulled equally on all 4 drums so they lock together. This is best done with the escape hatches off as the to do this adjusters for the rear wheels are under the battery boxes. The front wheel adjusters are easily accessible inside the vehicle from the drivers seat.

Diana

Technical question - I had to de-adjust my Ferret brake shoes to get the brake drum back on. When I wound the outer adjuster bolt in and out, I can see the adjuster mechanism working for the top shoe. When I wound the inner collar for the bottom shoe, both sets of adjuster gears wound. Now the adjuster collar spins round and round and nothing moves! What is the likely cause of this problem, and can I assume that this will require the brake shoes/carriers to be stripped off (yet again!) in order to repair it? I did test it prior to reassembly and all seemed to work ok. Is it easier to remove the hub to work on the brake assemblies? I did manage to unseize a brake tappet without removing the hub.

Additionally, does anyone have any tips for fitting the return springs to the shoe carriers? Very fiddly and annoying to do.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Diana; however the problem seems to be a disconnection between the adjuster nut and the cog wheel that sits against the back plate. I'll have a play though as I don't really want to have to strip it all off again!

Vince

It is possible for the cog wheel you mention to be damaged, this is the damage I referred to. Its also possible for the adjuster to be wound so far up that it won't adjust anymore - this is the other situation I refer to when I talk about maladjustment and this seems a the most likely cause..

The other possible but unlikely options are drum overskimmed or leading edge of shoes in the wrong position relative to the forward motion of the vehicle brake drum in question.

Hope that helps

Diana

Edited by Diana and Jackie

Following much assembly and dis-assembly of the affected components, I have discovered the cause of the problem. The adjusters would both work independently with the shoe carrier return springs and "clicker" springs removed. When a load (fitting shoe carrier return return springs or the "clicker" springs) was imparted on the adjuster, the bottom one would work in one direction but slip in the other.

Removing the adjuster nut assembly did require some minor destruction of the component as it is secured through the back plate to the adjuster gears by peining (this is the damage seen on the end of the adjuster). Upon dis-assembly, I discovered that the machined flats that engage the adguster gear had rounded of which was the cause of the slip. This was probably due to over winding in one direction or the adjuster having seized at some point in the vehicles life.

Hopefully this information will be of use to any Ferret owner who suffers the same issue.

Sorry for the poor quality pics, the light was fading and my phone doesn't take particularly good pictures.

Vince

IMG00494-20140605-2002.jpg

IMG00496-20140605-2003.jpg