Q. re the gear ration on the Final Drive of a MkIV Cromwell?

Old Git

Does anyone know what the gear ratio was on the Cromwell? Also, any indication of number of teeth on the gear wheel and the pinion? I think, IIRC, there was about 50 teeth on the gear wheel?

Edited by Old Git
spollings

I have early vehicles are 3.7 to 1 final drive 39.5mph at 2550rpm

Later vehicles 4.5 to 1 final drive 32.5mph at 2550rpm

But I think this could be adjusted by removing the electrical governors that are incorporated in each magneto, they are set to prevent maximum engine speed from being exceeded, they let unburned fuel go into the exhaust system so the engine won't go above the set speed limit. I have heard that some crews removed the governors so they could go faster...

But I think this could be adjusted by removing the electrical governors that are incorporated in each magneto, they are set to prevent maximum engine speed from being exceeded, they let unburned fuel go into the exhaust system so the engine won't go above the set speed limit. I have heard that some crews removed the governors so they could go faster...

'they let unburned fuel go into the exhaust system' - unburned fuel from where? Do you know how that was supposed to work?

trevor

'they let unburned fuel go into the exhaust system' - unburned fuel from where? Do you know how that was supposed to work?

trevor

The governors operate by short circuiting the high tension current to the sparking plugs. This results in unburnt mixture passing to the exhaust pipes and exploding there, It is, therefore, bad practice to "drive on the governors."

Each magneto is fitted with an automatic advance and retard mechanism and governor which limits the engine speed to 2550 rpm.

Edited by lssah2025

I have early vehicles are 3.7 to 1 final drive 39.5mph at 2550rpm

Later vehicles 4.5 to 1 final drive 32.5mph at 2550rpm

Yeah that's what I have too! By my reckoning there ought to be 52 teeth on the spur gear and 14 on the Pinion, but I'd still like to see a nice clear pic of those two gear wheels! It's interesting that there's not a picture anyway on the Inet of a disassembled final drive for a Centaur or Cromwell!

The governors operate by short circuiting the high tension current to the sparking plugs. This results in unburnt mixture passing to the exhaust pipes and exploding there, It is, therefore, bad practice to "drive on the governors."

Each magneto is fitted with an automatic advance and retard mechanism and governor which limits the engine speed to 2550 rpm.

Ah, I see, I thought that there was some system bypassing the engine :D

trevor