Saracen steering jacks

bcoycqms

I am looking for help from one of few clever boy. I have both of my steering Jacks leaking hydraulic oil obviously it’s the oil seals that need replacing but the big question is how to get the steering jacks out of the vehicle without taking the engine out. As you can see from the photo it is getting the taper on the ball joint to release from the steering strut it is secured to.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90698&thumb=1&d=1399314972

2014-05-03 11.37.01 (800x600).jpg

Hi,

I agree with the ball splitter, but it wil haveto be an industrial size. Careful with the spring that is underneath the rubber jacket that covers the taper. To remove ours, I used heat as well, but if the engine is in, you might want to place some heat shields around the sensitve bits

cheers and good luck

Nick

CWC Canada

To remove one of the tie rods on mine (same sort of ball and taper) I used a medium gear puller. It wasn't the right tool for the job, but it worked. It was also fairly cheap.

Cheers,

Terry

Thank you for all the advice. We have considered using heat but as you can see from the photos there is a lot of hydraulic oil in the bottom of the hull so I am reluctant to use heat because of the risk of fire. The really annoying part of this is that I have just had to remove the radiator and fans to replace the fan belts so couldn’t start her up so once back together topped up the oil reservoir and fired her up that is when the leaking Jack’s showed up. Not all together surprising since it hasn’t been running for about 30 years. But once again thanks for the advice and if you have any more ideas please let me know.

Shane

Hi Nick

You were quite right in the end of friend lent and large ball splitter but it also required some heat and the safest way we found was to use boiling water, with that a large hammer it all came apart quite quickly.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90945&d=1399805124&thumb=1&stc=1

And this is the offending item

attachment.php?attachmentid=90944&d=1399805124&thumb=1&stc=1

2014-05-09 11.56.00 (600x800).jpg

2014-05-09 09.46.15 (600x800) (2).jpg