Ferret modified recovery points

robin craig

You can tow them, just not very far (for some reason 100 yards sticks in my head) without something making expensive crunching or springing noises ;-P

Considering how often they seem to have been modified to suit, perhaps it's to allow it to be more easily recovered?

I have also read on several occasions that they should not be towed any distance, but I have never understood why. It would seem all the roundy round parts would be no different than if it was being driven as long as the transfer box was disengaged. Is there an oil pump that is only functions from the driven end as in some gearboxes?

Regards,

Bob

I have also read on several occasions that they should not be towed any distance, but I have never understood why. It would seem all the roundy round parts would be no different than if it was being driven as long as the transfer box was disengaged. Is there an oil pump that is only functions from the driven end as in some gearboxes?

Regards,

Bob

Bob,

The gearbox has an oil pump in its input end. You can tow for short distances by putting the forward / reverse lever in centre position, but as I said previously, a suspended tow you should take the sun wheels out of the hubs that it is being trailed on.