I'll never need one of those...

Grasshopper

You know those parts you have lying around, which when you look at them you think "I'll never need one of those"? :dunno:

We have a couple of CVRT gearboxes away being re-built at the moment, and I was informed today that one of them has a broken shaft, due to the army having over tightened it during rebuild. This basically renders it scrap. :oops2:

About three (or four?) years ago, our first CVRT gear box had no low range gears on its first run out :clap:. I stripped it, and the range change clutch was completely destroyed. As no parts were available to repair it (not economically), the remnants of the box were sold (the casing is now in the only British army spec Scimitar in private hands), but the broken range change parts were left lying around in a box. They were eventually discarded as scrap, all except the shaft....which when i found it today, gave me a feeling of elation, as it has saved us the cost of purchasing another gearbox!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Its put me in very good mood for the rest of the evening. :-D

Well done, I was trying to track down a noise on my Sabre box yesterday. It runs and drives fine, but makes a horrible loud vibrating noise in the first 4 gears. I'm looking for another box too.. and some dampers, periscopes... etc etc :(

Chris

Sounds like you may have a problem with your low range clutch assembly. It would probably be a good idea to get it looked at/rebuilt before it breaks. This could save you a lot of money in the long run, and if you get it rebuilt, at least it is a known quantity from then on. Ours are being done by Andrew Baker of the Alvis Fighting Vehicle Society. He is a very knowledgable on such things, and may even be able to advise you on repairing it yourself. His number was in the CMV article on the AFV society. They are also a very good source for parts.