Plastic Fantastic

Enfield1940

I've decided to dip my toes in the world of nylon trials 1958 Pattern webbing and I attach a couple of pics of progress so far. (Yes, I know that's an ordinary belt) This was provoked by Silvermans - briefly - accidentaly listing the ammo pouches for £15 a pair rather than £15 each on eBay. Having snaffled these, I then ordered the yoke and kidney pouches off their website for £15 each. As is well known, Silvermans have a 'Never Knowingly Underpriced' sales strategy and since then the yokes have been raised to £20 and the kidney pouches to £30:

https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/63/MILITARY/WEBBING+1958+PATTERN/SKU/4-456/Default.aspx

I shall now respectfully take my place at the back of the queue of people looking for the matching nylon belt, poncho carrier and waterbottle pouch. ;)

Nylon P58 back.jpg

Nylon P58 front.jpg

I've decided to dip my toes in the world of nylon trials 1958 Pattern webbing and I attach a couple of pics of progress so far. (Yes, I know that's an ordinary belt) This was provoked by Silvermans - briefly - accidentaly listing the ammo pouches for £15 a pair rather than £15 each on eBay. Having snaffled these, I then ordered the yoke and kidney pouches off their website for £15 each. As is well known, Silvermans have a 'Never Knowingly Underpriced' sales strategy and since then the yokes have been raised to £20 and the kidney pouches to £30:

https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/63/MILITARY/WEBBING+1958+PATTERN/SKU/4-456/Default.aspx

I shall now respectfully take my place at the back of the queue of people looking for the matching nylon belt, poncho carrier and waterbottle pouch. ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89370[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]89371[/ATTACH]

003.jpg

Here's the elusive nylon poncho roll or cape-carrier...........

004.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89399[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]89398[/ATTACH]

Here's the elusive nylon poncho roll or cape-carrier...........

Photo0500 (1).jpg

And perhaps hardest of all to find, the nylon 58 belt......this one is mint...........now only seeking the water bottle pouch and the large pack.........regarding the former, given that this kit was made around 1977, the bottle pouch should have the buckle fastener although I have seen some with the earlier twist-lock type fastening reminiscent of the earlier pattern canvas pouch.............and as for the latter, though little seen, the large pack in nylon was produced......

Patt._'58_Mk._2_CEMO_rear_view.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Are there any known examples of the pack out there in collectorland? Presumably there were also nylon utility straps?

Are these not shown here on the pack ? i haven't a standard 58 pack here to check, sorry......

• 3 weeks later...

Nice !! Poncho roll looks cleaner than mine and mine's almost new !!

Note you are still seeking the water bottle pouch (as am I) plus the correct nylon belt..........

I have a spare of the latter, mint, but was keeping to hopefully trade for that damn water bottle carrier if one ever turns up !!!!! The nylon 58 belt is, arguably, one of the hardest things to find so I will need a lot of persuading.........>:( !

Edited by wdbikemad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Silvermans appear to have finally found their stash of nylon P58 poncho carriers. If you've got £65 burning a hole in your pocket...:shocked:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/nylon-58-pattern-webbing-most-parts-SAS-Falklands-1970s-dated-very-rare-/181695002109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2a4dddb5fd

Not sure what that belt is either.

Silvermans appear to have finally found their stash of nylon P58 poncho carriers. If you've got £65 burning a hole in your pocket...:shocked:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/nylon-58-pattern-webbing-most-parts-SAS-Falklands-1970s-dated-very-rare-/181695002109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2a4dddb5fd

Not sure what that belt is either.

The usual Silvermans bargain prices! :pfrt: I remember the regulars testing this kit when I was in the TA and the consensus IIRC was that everybody hated it.

Re the large pack question, I have a 1975 dated para bergen by MEL, the makers of some of the Silvermans kit and wonder if these were made in preference to the large pack? There is no other obvious reason for none of the large packs to survive when everything else has. Para bergens earlier than 1982 are also extremely rare, but presumably by virtue of most available stock going to the Falklands and the remainder being issued as replacements soon afterwards.