NEED UPDATED INFO FOR SARACEN'S

tech II

HI EVERYONE I'M A NEW MEMBER, MY NAME IS DENVER HORINE, I'M FROM THE USA AND I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON MY POLICE DEPT'S SARECEN FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS. OR SHOULD I SAY STUMBLLING THROUGHT REPAIRS, I HAVE VERY OLD MANUALS MOST OF THEM FROM THE 1955, I DID RECIVE A NEWER PARTS MANUAL FROM 1976 IN MY LAST PARTS ORDER, WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS IF ANYONE HAS A COPY OF THE SERVICE SCHEDUAL 14250/1 PER USED HAND BOOK, I HAVE HAD A VERY DIFFICULT TIME FINDING THE CORRECT FLUIDS OR CHANGES FOR THE VEH,FOR THE PAST YEAR I HAVE BEEN TRING TO REPAIR WHEEL STATION LEAKS,AND HAVE HAD TO REPLACE THE TWIN VALVE, AND ACCUMULATORS, JUST RECENTLY I HAVE LOST ALL THE HYDRUALICS, AND I'M REMOVING THE FRONT A THIS TIME TO REPLACE THE PUMP, LAST YEAR I REPLACED THE TWIN VALVE AND ACCUMLATORS,AND WAS TOLD TO USE A LIGHT 10W OIL,NOT TOTALING UNDERSTANDING THE SYSTEM WE INSTALLED HYDRO 76 AW32, APPARENTLY THIS IS THE INCORRECT FLUID, I HAVE DONE SOME RESEACH IN THAT PAST 2 WEEKS AND DISCOVERED YOUR WEB SIGHT ONLY TODAY FOR THE ALVIS SITE, SO I HOPE TO LEARN MORE FROM FROM YOUR FORUM, I HAVE LEARNED ALOT FROM WORKING ON THIS VEH AND POSSIBLE WRONG INTERPITATIONS FROM THE MANUALS, I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR INFORMATION.DENVER.

Denver, I have a lot of documentation here & thanks to a member of this forum (Neil) I now have a database to rapidly search for this stuff.

It reveals I have Army Code No.14250 also known as D/DME(A)123/11/13 Servicing Schedule for Saracen all Mks 1976. I just have to find it then I'll post it.

BTW does the dept have a Humber Pig? There seem to be a number used in the US for law enforcement, but over here "they don't fit in with current policing policies" I was once told by a transport officer from the Met police! Although one of my Pigs was issued to the RUC in 1958.

BTW does the dept have a Humber Pig? There seem to be a number used in the US for law enforcement, but over here "they don't fit in with current policing policies" I was once told by a transport officer from the Met police! Although one of my Pigs was issued to the RUC in 1958.

Clive,

Off subject but in answer to you comment on Humber Pigs in use by police, here is one for you.

It belonged to the SWAT team of San Mateo County Sherriff's Office, in California. I helped them out with some technical issues back in 2004, when the picture was taken.

Richard

Hi,

You really need to find the caps lock...........!!!

Anyway, saracen requires:

engine straight sae 30 for temperate weather, sae 40 for very hot and sae 20 for arctic.

sae 30 in gearbox

sae 90 ep gear oil in transfer box, and all driveshaft joints, hubs etc.

brake/steering system and fluid flywheel, sae 5 hydraulic oil NOT brake fluid under any circumstances

If you are more used to automatic transmission, please note that fluid flywheel does not share gearbox oil like a torque converter but is separate and must be separately fillled and checked.

You can do this by pulling the plug in it (DO NOT drop it down the bellhousing!!!) when it is cold. Fluid should be level with the bottom of the plug hole. Alternatively you can check it by a 'stall test'. For this, engage 3rd gear with the handbrake hard on and try to rev up the engine. If it goes higher than 800 rpm then flywheel needs filling. Only rev engine up for a few seconds (up to 10) or you will boil the oil in the flywheel and cook the seals.

Have fun: they are really great fun to drive!

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE REPLIED WITH GREAT INFO, I'M ABOUT 8 HOURS BEHIND IN TIME, RIGHT NOW MY TIME IS 11:12AM APRIL 13TH, I'M TRING TO GET USED TO CHECKING THESE POST SO I'M SORRY IF IT TAKES SOME TIME TO REPORT BACK TO EVERONE,I'M AT WORK RIGHT NOW GETTING READY TO INSTALL THE NEW PUMP. IT TOOK ABOUT 16 HOURS TO REMOVED THE OLD ONE, I DID TAKE SOME PIC'S OF THIS AND WHEN I FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THESE OFF MY PHONE CAMERA, ALL THESE HI TECH GADGETS AND I'M STILL TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO USE THEM. MY OIL VENDERS ARE STILL TRYING TO SOMTHING COMPARABLE TO MORRIS LIQUIMATIC 1, THERE TYPE OF OIL ARE JUST NOT AVIL IN THE USE, I'M GOING TO CHANGE OUT THE GEAR BOX AND TRANS THEY HAVE GP90 IN THEM KNOW,WELL BACK TO WORK, I HOPE THAT I REPLIED CORRECT DENVER.

MY OIL VENDERS ARE STILL TRYING TO SOMTHING COMPARABLE TO MORRIS LIQUIMATIC 1, THERE TYPE OF OIL ARE JUST NOT AVIL IN THE USE,

Hi Denver,

I use Morris Liquimatic 1 hydraulic oil in Saracens when working on them. The army oil is known as OM-13.

The civilian specification/ grade of this oil is ISO 10, incidentally, ISO stands for International Organisation for Standardization.

Hope this is of use to you.

Richard