Bren gun storage - Saracen

trophy160

According to the manual I have, the Bren was stored strapped to the floor on the left side of the vehicle, with mags stored on the right side. I'll try and remember to post up the stowage diagrams, but lacking a scanner, I'll have to take a photo with my phone.

Cheers,

Terry

Hello

The bracket furthest away in the photo resembles one I have in my shed . it is felt lined and its part number indicates it is a bren support. If you need it let me know .

Cheers

Jim

Hi, I've been trying to find some reference to Bren gun storage brackets for my Saracen. I just came across this photo, are the brackets I have ringed Bren gun storage brackets by any chance?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88617[/ATTACH]

The difference in storage is interesting. I wonder if the Bren brackets were moved when the later Mark(s) started wearing spall liners, so that there wouldn't be heavy stuff on the wall that might be launched if the side was hit (although the original pic shows both, so this is just idle speculation). If this is the case, Mk 3 would be mounted on the wall but Mk V on the floor, as per Terry's pic.

James

Hi James,

The manual that I have covers all marks, but the stowage section is pretty basic and seems to cover only the MK2/3 APC in any detail. Given their relatively long service lives and the number of different units that they served with, I would think that there would be many variations on correct stowage.

I'd also like to point out that only the Mk 5 and 6 had the spall liners fitted, and as part of that same upgrade, their rear gun rings and BREN guns were removed, so I've got no stowage fittings for a BREN at all in mine and can only go by documentation and photos I've found on the internet. As an aside, these things were out of service by about the time that I was born, so nothing I say can have much authority :P

Cheers,

Terry

I'm also pretty sure that the first pic is a Mk 2 or Mk 3, as it has a roof hatch and vents down both sides of the inside, but it has had some home-made padding added to it, which appears to be pretty rough and not in any pattern I've ever seen for a spall liner.