Fitted a Salisbury Front axle on 300tdi

CabbMech

Need a little help please. I have fitted a Salisbury Front axle to my 300tdi 110 Landrover. This has left me with many problems like propshaft not fitting and steering arm not fitting due to diff length So I thought that I would try and sort one problem out by sourcing a RRC2666 Steering Arm and fit the balljoints from my old steering arm ...... Not Happening as they are hugely different.

So can anyone tell me which balljoints I need to fit and possibly the part no.s for future reference. Which end goes where would also be a help too before my ever decreasing braincells implode.

$T2eC16F,!)!E9s2f!H!tBRYyZOEF!w~~60_12.JPG

Not sure what It came off as it was a crated version from Withams. The axle is currently fitted minus springs, shocks and steering rod and seems to sit nicely although haven't tried it under weight due to the previous items not being fitted yet. Are there any identifying marks on the axle that would help?

Not an expert, but had some dealings with them due to a bent one on a 110 Pinkie, the swivel housings and CV joints differed from the Salisbury norm, seem to remember ball joints and a few other things where not the same as most other MOD spares we could locate for those axles, and definitely not the same as LR axles.

Google image search throws up some with what looks like normal LR steering ball joints, but most have the tie rod missing, worth having a look if you haven't already.

Hmmm,

just a guess but I suspect it's a front axle for a V8 snatch landrover. Withams have been selling off all the spares for the V8 variant. Can't help with the question of the tie rod, but you will need a different propshaft. You need the ,ilitary double cardon version. As an example this e-bay auction shows what you want 281276635175 . But is way overpriced. I got the propshaft from blancchards for around £200 notes but already had the flange fitted. They do come up on e-bay for less there appears to be a Bearmach outlet/clearance shop on e-bay and they sold two recently for less than £100 each.

One other thing is that you need a special tool to remove and replace the output flange from the transfer box. I was lucky that my local dealer did it for free but i had to take the old and new transfer boxes to them.

I'm not sure if he still uses the name mattblack on here but I know that he has a parts manual for the snatch so if it is a snatch axle he should be able to identify the part numbers for you.

Hobson Bros in Lincolnshire also seel on e-nay and the have a full front axle for sale at £750 ish IIRC but they may be able to help with the parts you need. However they aren't cheap as they are used to selling to the mod.

One final caution most snatch owners seem to have replaced their as they were duff (even though they can be greased and it looks like the Universal joint can be replace i.e. it's fitted with retaining circlips) so I wouldn't be too keen to buy a used example.

:-)

Edited by bonnie_scott
typo

Thanks so far.

Here's the limited Withams description Land Rover Salisbury Front Axle Assembly 110HD/130 complete with Differential, Casing, disc brakes, Callipers etc. it came preserved and stamped with refurbished by Abro on a plate on top of diff casing.

Just checked and the axle has 24L00953 C stamped on the tube.

I have bought this item on fleabay http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271411595439 and took a chance on being able to do something with it. However on reflection I think I wasted my money and will instead refurbish it and sell it on.

As for needing a special tool, what was this used for? I am guessing it locks up the box so the retaining nut can be removed.

Blooming nightmare this has been :red:

1385647886049.JPG

Edited by CabbMech

I was told a range rover front prop shaft fitted.

I was thinking about doing this ages ago but got worried about how many bits are unique, even on a Defender there are various types. All doable but a lot of thought required.

Some ifo discussed earlier http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?34096-FRC8194-axle&highlight=salisbury

I did find the parts breakdown, which i'll see if I can find

For anyone in the future that might find themselves completing a similar fitting here is a list of the parts needed so far :-

RRC2666 Steering Arm x 1

RRC2667 Land Rover adjuster tube x 1

RRC4221 LH HD Balljoint x 1

RRC 4222 RH HD Balljoint x 1

Tube Clamps

The above items will give you the full track rod assembly.

As for Propshaft it seems that a 23" closed double cardan front prop is needed to fit from R380 Transfer box to Salisbury front axle. Other configurations as in an L230 Transfer box may require different prop length but I have no reference point for that.