tank sealer

phil.c

Hi guys, I have a very slight leak in my GPW fuel tank so was hoping to try one of these sealers you pour in and slosh about. Anyone had any experiences with them good or bad and which should I opt for?

Phil

Tank sealers have been used in the motorcycle world for many years however make sure you use one that is protected and approved for todays ethanol added petrol as some sealers have reacted badly to modern petrol and failed clogging fuel lines and filters etc. Get the right one and they are a great choose the wrong one and you will have problems. :D

Hi guys, I have a very slight leak in my GPW fuel tank so was hoping to try one of these sealers you pour in and slosh about. Anyone had any experiences with them good or bad and which should I opt for?

Phil

I have used the Slosh product on both tanks of my 109

http://www.rust.co.uk/products/product/413135/0003-slosh-ethanol-resistant-tank-seal-kit/

You need to make sure it has been cleaned and thoroughly dried before it is applied.

However if you let it air dry for too long you can get surface rust forming and then you back to square one.

I stuck a electric paint stripper gun lon low in the filling hole. The other-halfs hair drier will probably be just as good but that has serious health risks:D

Mike

electric paint stripper gun

beaware these products can give off potentially explosive vapors.

Best to do the job on a clear day and let the sun heat the tank.

An airline put into the hole will help remove the heavy vapor from the tankwith no damage risk.

Some also generate a lot of their own heat by initial chemical reaction.

With one motorcycle tank i burnt my hand picking it up!

I now use Tapox, which looks the same as the red lining you get in militaryjerry cans and looks to be performing without problem after 6 years.

Interestingly my WW2 & other jerry cans are lined ( as part of the original manufacture?) and have notdeteriorated in any way.

Pet seal is what us bikers used in our tanks in the 80's and everyone done back then has nowfailed, either by turning to big flakes that come off or jelly that blocks thefilters, taps, lines & carb. They say they have now changed the formula ofthe mix - but once bitten twice shy.

Slosh i have used once with no problem ( the white coloured resin/rubberised one) http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/search?query=slosh. I believe this was originaly formulated for aircraft fuel tanks.

but then have used another Slosh ( which as a clear 2 part resin) that has not done so well and looks similar to Petseal.

the problem is that both 'Slosh' and 'Petseal' appear to be made and sold by varous differant small scale manufacturers/retailers all using the same name.

So again be carefull........try and identify if the actual manufacturer is a big player with a R&D department, rather than some back yard outfit who are just cashing in on a need.

hope this helps

singe

Edited by singaeger

Singe.

I did a search to see if it is for sale in the UK, and it is.

I have very good experiences with Fedox and Tapox, made by Fertan http://www.fertan.co.uk.

The first being a rust converter and the second a 2 component sealant.

I've done severall tanks and jerrycans with this stuff and am very happy with it.

Rgds.

Sjoerd