George Gently tonight 20-30hrs onwards

gazzaw

Just watching this programme centred round a runaway soldier (Gently with Honour) , the time era is late 60s to mid 1970s but one scene shows a training exercise being carried out by troops and an austin champ running around. As far as I remember there were no champs still in active service with infantry units or otherwise by then as the LR was well entrenched by then, AFAIK the last champs left mil service by mid 60s and only cadet units or TA had them by then and after

later on in programme a Bedford MK carrying troops (should be an RL) and also mention of LSD trials on the troops (this was mainly in 1963 although 1967 in show) and an ambulance outside hospital with B (1964) registration so best guess earliest this was set in was 1968 despite champ etc.

I stand to be corrected but it just seemed odd out of all the other vehicles and equipment in the show.

Edited by gazzaw

Just watching this programme centred round a runaway soldier (Gently with Honour) , the time era is late 60s to mid 1970s but one scene shows a training exercise being carried out by troops and an austin champ running around. As far as I remember there were no champs still in active service with infantry units or otherwise by then as the LR was well entrenched by then, AFAIK the last champs left mil service by mid 60s and only cadet units or TA had them by then and after

later on in programme a Bedford MK carrying troops (should be an RL) and also mention of LSD trials on the troops (this was mainly in 1963 although 1967 in show) and an ambulance outside hospital with B (1964) registration so best guess earliest this was set in was 1968 despite champ etc.

I stand to be corrected but it just seemed odd out of all the other vehicles and equipment in the show.

I thought it was a detective programme not a programme about re enacters ??

Afraid the officer corp didn't come over too well did they but it did typify those I met in the 1960s. The LSD trials went on much later than 63 I knew guys who went on them as late as 1967 to get a few extra bob ! the caption at the beginning--- i.e the time of the turkish bath incident said REDCAR 1969 .

TED

Edited by ted angus

• 2 weeks later...