Georgetown Army unit 1950's

simondema

Question

Hi all

Below is what I received from the Champ Club regarding my Champ:

RV WAS GEO/R/3051 AND DIS 15 JAN 53: THIS WAS THE ONLY CHAMP WITH THIS RV AND DATE WHICH INDICATES THAT IT WAS SENT TO A UNIT ALONE. GEO WAS GEORGETOWN IN SCOTLAND AND THIS MEANS THE UNIT WAS EITHER IN SCOTLAND, NORTHERN IRELAND OR NORTHERN ENGLAND.

THE S/O DATE OF 11/1/67 AND AT RUDDINGTON MEANS EX TERRITORIAL ARMY 1960'S IN ENGLAND OR WALES.

THIS VEHICLE WAS NOT SOLD THROUGH WD SALES BUT WAS PURCHASED BY PRIVATE BID BY AUSTRALIAN DEALER.

I am trying to find out what Military markings I need to use to reflect my Champ's usage. I was told it was probably in the TA, but then it was suggested it might have been with the regular Army.

On Champ World it shows the various markings, however my inexperience is not allowing me to recognise "my" unit.

Thanks in advance

Simon

6 answers to this question

SIMON Georgetown was a central vehicle depot a place to receive military vehicles not as such a regiment just a depot

to hold and issue vehicles to regiments and units all vehicles had its own RV number every vehicle its own RECEIPT

VOUCHER NUMBER BY the late 1960s a lot of CHAMPS were in deed serving with TA units there are no records of who

the CHAMPS served with the only way is to find a picture of it in service

REGARDS WALLY

Ahhh...that makes sense now. That's why I couldn't find any regimental markings for Georgetown :red:

Thanks Wally.

I have the following from John Mastrangelo:

THE RECEIPT VOUCHER [RV] WAS ARMY FORM GENERAL [AFG] 1033.

GEO/R/3051 IS THE NUMBER FOR AFG 1033 ISSUED WITH YOUR VEHICLE WHEN IT ENTERED SERVICE.

God only knows where it went!

Simon

SIMON look at it this way your CHAMP is a blank canvas as far as its military history is concerned and you have many

options as to markings and were it could have served here are just a few KOREA EGYPT TRANS JORDAN KENYA GERMANY

and the UK TO NAME A FEW have you seen a copy of a leaflet called MV 1 TRUCK 1/4 TON GS 4X4 CARGO & FFW AUSTIN

BY iso publications 137 Westminster bridge road SE 1 7 HR if not I can copy it for you

REGARDS WALLY

Thanks Wally

Yes, I have that publication, thank you. T

The guy who is doing the soda blasting for me told me that while doing the bonnet he noticed what appeared to be part of a yellow circle on the left side of the bonnet (as you look at the car straight on, in other words on the driver's side) and what appeared to be white numbers down the side of the bonnet, but they were illegible.

It is also strange as I have noticed what looks like blue paint on parts of the body and strangely on the wheel hubs. The DBG has been painted over it. I don't know whether they put another paint over the red oxide or whether that was the original colour and someone painted over it.

It is frustrating me, as I really would like to know its history. Oh yes...also while looking at the rear axle/diff assembly I noticed that on the area on the closest rubber boot there appeared to be white numbers, though I could only make out 2 numbers, one of which was a 4 I think.

Tomorrow I will be replacing the rubber boots so I will be closely inspecting the axles and the body.

Thanks for the info.

Simon

SIMON the white numbers on the side of the bonnet were they in side or out if on the inside they could be the overhaul

reference numbers for the work done like a job card number the same with the one on the axle a means of tracking were

the work was done if there was a problem on your data plate inside the engine compartment on the bulk head are the

words overhaul or b/overhaul B398 STAMPED ON THE plate if so do you know what that means as to the blue paint l have no idea some one may have painted it blue then some one else repainted it green while it was in the hands of a former civilian owner

The white numbers were on the outside. They were a combination of numbers and letters, possibly 6 characters in total though not sure.

it had a B/O in 1962 at Weston Super Mare. Nothing I could see inside of bonnet but we haven't blasted that yet. Will check for any markings today. Also interestingly I could not see any numbers stamped on the dumb iron.

Simon