Unusual Body Armour-US Variable Type With Ceramic Plates.

Scotch Harry

Knew about the US version Paul(have one somewhere I bought around 15 years ago in its original issue box) but not heard of or seen a Brit made one before.

The attached label is US NSN....but the stuck-on paper label is British with a different (UK) NSN.........

• 8 months later...

Hi, in the 1970 the British Army in Northern Ireland came under threat from new high velocity weapons being used by the IRA. The Army bought several hundred sets of US Army (vietnam era) variable body armour , to equip troops in static positions, VCPs Sangars etc. The British discarded the US made covers, opting for a UK made cover with the two SLR mag pockets. These were an interim item until the inferior (in my opinion) NBA (Northern Ireland Body Armour) was on general issue. This vest is quite a rare item, but not greatly sought after. The standard US Variable vests are worth more. But still a nice addition to a collection of British body armour, (I have two sets), see Martin Brayleys book "Modern Body Armour" for more details. Marc

Hi, in the 1970 the British Army in Northern Ireland came under threat from new high velocity weapons being used by the IRA. The Army bought several hundred sets of US Army (vietnam era) variable body armour , to equip troops in static positions, VCPs Sangars etc. The British discarded the US made covers, opting for a UK made cover with the two SLR mag pockets. These were an interim item until the inferior (in my opinion) NBA (Northern Ireland Body Armour) was on general issue. This vest is quite a rare item, but not greatly sought after. The standard US Variable vests are worth more. But still a nice addition to a collection of British body armour, (I have two sets), see Martin Brayleys book "Modern Body Armour" for more details. Marc

Interesting, nice to find out something new. Sounds like a book I should get