School Visit

Degsy

I had the great pleasure yesterday to attend the school where my two granddaughters are pupils to talk to them about WW11. I have done it in the past but not for some time and I find it hugely enjoyable and very worthwhile. Obviously the talk needs to be geared to the age of the children and as yesterday covered the ages of 7 to 11 in consultation with the teachers I decided that a question and answer session would be the best way to go. It proved to be a huge success the knowledge displayed by some of the children was quite amazing. One 7 year old by the name of Alfie nearly stumped me when he asked about a tramp and MI7, of course he meant MI5 and after racking my brains I realised he was talking about Operation Mincemeat and I was able to tell the story of the body of a tramp, one Glyndwr Michael, purporting to be the body of a fictional officer, Major Martin of the Royal Marines. I will be revisiting the school in the future along with friends and we will be taking our vehicles and hopefully giving the children rides on farmland neighbouring the school. the reason I am making this post is hopefully to encourage , if possible, more members to attempt this. Even if you are not a WW11 buff visiting with vehicles has been proved to be very successful and if it sparks an interest that may last into future life it must be a good thing. There is no doubt that some younger people are coming into the hobby and bringing a breath of fresh air but so many of us are of advanced years that I do worry about who is going to take over the looking after of all the vehicles which are, without doubt, historic icons.

If any body wants any advice at all in regard to doing this please don't hesitate to contact me.

Going to a school and talking to the children is just streets ahead of just going to shows and the 'buzz' you get from it is just incredible. Please try it.

On some of the MV events I have taken part in in Australia, they visited schools and it is always interesting to hear what they have to say.

Recently I visited the REME Museum and was told there was a party of school kids there, so while going around I was listening to the dialogue between kids, teacher and guide. Some of the questions these young ones ask are incredible.

This hand on type of history is far removed from what we did at school and you can see from the school visits to War & Peace, how much it increases their knowledge and stimulates interest.

This hand on type of history is far removed from what we did at school and you can see from the school visits to War & Peace, how much it increases their knowledge and stimulates interest.

Spot on Richard and the bonus to being involved is that is so rewarding.

We took the vehicles to a school in Jersey on the 60th anniversary of the Liberation. My old primary school La Moye. The kids didn't know the vehicles were coming till the last minute. We heard the cheers from the laying up point about 400 yards away. Grown men were seen to quail. :D If we don't encourage the young and talk to them about what really happned, then Holly wood and Vidio games history will prevail.

157.jpg

I've been to schools to talk about WW2 too.

I arrived in British uniform for 4 classes of 13/14 year olds and asked them which war movies they'd seen.

From there I started explaining the uniform and gear while staying interactive with the kids.

I used several anecdotes told to me by WW2 veterans.

It was so succesful, even some of the kids stayed with me at their break to ask more.

Who said history is boring...