Prelude to D-Day event - 26th-28th May 2007 at Chiltern Open Air Museum, Bucks

Once again the Chiltern Open Air Museum, at Chalfont St Giles, in Bucks will be holding a Prelude to D-Day event with British Army, RAF & US Army re-enactors plus a good selection of vehicles. I went to this last year and it really was well done as the museum itself consists of old buildings that have been saved and moved to the park, and these form a very good backdrop to the various camps around the site. The 43rd Wessex Div and Red Ball Express prepared some very realistic displays, as did the Para RA re-enactment group that were camped out in the farm yard. They also brought along three 75mm Pack Howitzers, which I had never seen before.

It's a shame there is so much on offer that Bank Holiday week-end - but if you do live in that area and fancy something different go along and tell your friends. Its so rare to have an MV event so near to London. I shall attach some photos shortly.

For more details see

http://www.coam.org.uk/coamhome.htm

Chiltern Open Air Museum, Newland Park, Gorelands Lane, Chalfont St. Giles, Bucks HP8 4AB, UK +44 (0)1494 871117

Contact us by email: coamuseum@netscape.net

This is indeed an excellent event especially as I only have to travel a mile or so from home to get there ,even my m20 can manage that!.Definately well worth a visit as being in the museum where there is nothing modern you get a real time warp sensation .

Last years event was the first and this years promises to be even better with more vehicles/re-enactors present and plenty to see.

Nigel

I wasn't there last year but will be this year with my re-enactment group (Leicestershire Regiment). Was there the weekend just gone for the training event which a few groups came to, the 43rd Recce guys had their new Daimler armoured car, a dingo, universal carrier, as well as a few motorbikes and jeeps as well as jeeps with other groups out and about. Will upload the photos in a bit in the meetings log section.

• 2 months later...

This years show at C.O.A.M was as good as ever, though like the rest of the UK was badly affected by the weather on Sunday and Monday. Luckily Saturday remained dry.

I had a brief chat with Editor John Blackman from Classic Military Vehicle Magazine who was there on Saturday to photograph men and machines for a future article on 43rd Wessex Div reenactment group.

The star of the show for me was the Daimler Armoured Car, which I have never seen before. The re-enactors were great too. They were very approachable and took the time to explain things to the public who often feel shy at asking questions.