Goodyear solid rubber 40x6 tires

Gustaf

I have acquired a pair of new Goodyear 40x6 solid rubber tires, I was looking at a restoration of a 4WD model B chassis that has one tire missing, but there is so much else missing that I think that I might do better to save my energy for another project. If that is the case, these might be looking for a new home.

Best

Gus

ps they are located in the north west USA

Interesting that these 'original' tyres still turn up. I would assume that these tyres are in fact 40 x 6 for 34" rim, most US trucks have imperial size tyres whereas UK usuallly have metric sizes ( one of the first metric standard in the UK motor industry 1915). The 40" represents the overall tyre diameter when new, 6" the width and 34" the press on rim size. The FWD is unusual as it has the same size tyres all round which I believe to be 36 x 6 for 30". From this I would assume these tyres are not for an FWD but rear for a more standard type of US truck. Fronts would be 36 x 6 for 30"

Richard Peskett.

Good point on the 4WD size, I will have to check, they are 40 inch outer diameter as that was how tires were measured at that time, I have a B chassis that still has the tires on it, and I will have to measure to make sure the steel rims that the rubber is bonded to is the same.

hello gustaf, the liberty i have has 40 x 6 duals on the rear, i havent had a close look to see if they are seperate, or the duals are on one rim? i'll have a look tommorow, the front ones are smaller 36 x 5, any chance of a couple of pictures of the tyres? i would be interested in them if they were correct, thanks mike.

In general terms there were two different rim sizes for imperial solid tyres, usually 30" for front and 34" for backs, these would then be in widths of 4",5" and 6" , rears were available in similar widths with twins on the back. There were odd exceptions when the rears were in one width and then having two or three grooves in them, more often found on cranes and plant applications. UK metric sizes are much more complicated with differing overall diameters according to the width. With imperial sizes there would normally be .5" steel backing band and then 2.5" of rubber making up the additional 6" over rim diameter, the tyres obviously coming complete with the steel backing band.

Richard Peskett.

Here are some photos to give an idea of the condition of the tires.

Best

Gsu

tanksforthememories021_zps14a5eaea.jpg

tanksforthememories022_zps110acf95.jpg

tanksforthememories023_zpsab97e3a7.jpg

tanksforthememories024_zps7a26c818.jpg

tanksforthememories025_zps3af045e4.jpg

tanksforthememories026_zps868a6a91.jpg

I am unsure if Goodyear will still stand behind the guarantee to carry 4000 pounds, but the time you mount all the tires on the truck I think you will probably be over weight anyway:)

QUOTE: Gustaf.....I was looking at a restoration of a 4WD model B chassis that has one tire missing, but there is so much else missing that I think that I might do better to save my energy for another project....

Any chance of photos of the FWD model B. I have always had a soft spot for them.

David

Hi Gustaf, they sure look in new condition, i checked one of my chassis and its got 40 x 8 on the rears, they are overhanging the cast rims a bit, and the front ones are 36 x 7, these too are overhanging, i suspect you just put on whatever size was near enough in those days, the liberty specs states the sizes i put in my first response, i am interested in them, so i'll send you a P.M, cheers mike.