Help with i.d. of trucks?

No Signals

I'm not up on US Stuff but I know there will be guys on here who will be able to I.D. the main bomb carrier truck on this pic. Sorry about the quality but it is as good as it is going to get from a poor quality original. Taken some time in '43 at a UK repair facility associated with a bomb store. I recognise the hoist for what it is but what is the 'host' vehicle please? Any idea what that is behind it as well? Thanks.

repair2.jpg

OK, from the right

Three generic jeeps

a GMC CCKW with a No 7 set in the back and a one ton Ben Hur type trailer

another CCKW ( probably ) with the hood up extreme left but not really enough to identify

Google "No 7 set" or "Number seven 7 set" images

Well it's only a heavy wrecker in relative terms - quite light, really.

The way the image is shot I'd go for a Ben Hur one ton trailer behind the crane. If it is another vehicle parked one space further on, it's even easier to identify - half ton Dodge WC pickup, which is the only other thing that would look like that from the same distance.

So, either;

jeep, jeep, jeep, GMC with crane and Ben Hur, then GMC with full canvas

or

jeep, jeep, jeep, GMC with crane, Dodge 1/2 ton WC pickup, GMC with full canvas.

If you look at the relative size of the No 7 set and the truck it is mounted on you see it has to be a GMC CCKW, as any other bigger truck would make the crane look much smaller.

While we are covering the odds, someone is sure to point out that the No 7 set COULD be mounted on a Studebaker US6 or even an International, but given the numbers in service in the Uk at the time it is 90% + likely to be the humble GMC CCKW

While we are covering the odds, someone is sure to point out that the No 7 set COULD be mounted on a Studebaker US6 or even an International, but given the numbers in service in the Uk at the time it is 90% + likely to be the humble GMC CCKW

Interesting you should mention Studebakers as I have a photo from another part of this operation that shows a 'stock' Studebaker in use. (No number 7 set etc.). Thanks again, much appreciated.

Another interesting shot. Not the truck, but the X code in the serial number.

X codes were generally found on impressed or borrowed vehicles, rather than formal issue stock. No idea why that truck would have an X in the code though.