Repro 60 Patt DPM Smock??

Scotch Harry

I remember seeing a mens fashion 'combat jacket' on eBay about a year ago that had obviously been based on a P60 smock, although it wasn't an exact copy. Unfortunately I didn't save the details and I've never seen another.

I doubt there's enough demand to justify making accurate repros in 21st century adult friendly sizes, but it would be nice to be wrong.

Im not aware of any repros either..thats not to say someone out there hasn't copied one?The fact its got a plastic zip sounds odd..as does the label.It should be a white label with 'size' and the makers details ect...Does it have the charateristics of a normal one? round elbow patches..stitched collar ect..?

Hi Harry

I was the underbidder on this - I'd hoped I was alone in spotting the stitched collar on the ebay listing, but maybe I shouldn't be surprised that someone here also noticed it! :-) I did wonder about the label but hadn't spotted the plastic zip. I only put in a very low bid because the size is small, I wasn't entirely sure what it was, and I reasoned that if anyone else saw it and wanted it they would outbid me anyway.

Comparing it with my 60 patt dpm smock, the only differences I can see are the zip and the lack of a label and hanging loop. I don't think this is a repro as such. An item made for a cadet unit seems more likely to me.

Best wishes,

E.

Edited by Edward53

It's a copy.....you can tell by the fabric print and colouring.........this first appeared during the late-1970s on UK combat clothing..........the original 60 pattern DPM smock was only made between 1970 and early 1971 and by James Smith & Cookson & Clegg only under half a dozen contracts or so........all were made in the early heavy cotton drill DPM cloth........

However, it's a damn good copy, and I would assume British made on account of the detail and probably by one of the original contractors........if the spec's were available then it would be no problem having a batch knocked up, albeit in later fabric (I have the 60 pattern manufacturing specs myself, but NOT the cutting patterns, sadly !!!)............both F Fryer and James Smith made Denisons in the original fabric and other details after UK MoD manufacture had ceased for foreign contracts, and Survival aids had copies of the OG drill cross-over belt jungle trousers produced that were undoubtebly also made by one of the original UK contractors.........

Seen copies of the 68 pattern garment before, but not the 60 pattern in DPM.........

It's a copy.....you can tell by the fabric print and colouring.........this first appeared during the late-1970s on UK combat clothing..........the original 60 pattern DPM smock was only made between 1970 and early 1971 and by James Smith & Cookson & Clegg only under half a dozen contracts or so........all were made in the early heavy cotton drill DPM cloth........

However, it's a damn good copy, and I would assume British made on account of the detail and probably by one of the original contractors........if the spec's were available then it would be no problem having a batch knocked up, albeit in later fabric (I have the 60 pattern manufacturing specs myself, but NOT the cutting patterns, sadly !!!)............both F Fryer and James Smith made Denisons in the original fabric and other details after UK MoD manufacture had ceased for foreign contracts, and Survival aids had copies of the OG drill cross-over belt jungle trousers produced that were undoubtebly also made by one of the original UK contractors.........

Seen copies of the 68 pattern garment before, but not the 60 pattern in DPM.........

There can't have been very many made if this is the first one anyone here has seen. Any thoughts on who they might have been for? I'm still wondering about my Cadet Unit theory, or might these have been sold to regulars who weren't getting DPM fast enough from official sources? Or a foreign contract as for the Denisons?

Edited by Edward53

There can't have been very many made if this is the first one anyone here has seen. Any thoughts on who they might have been for? I'm still wondering about my Cadet Unit theory, or might these have been sold to regulars who weren't getting DPM fast enough from official sources? Or a foreign contract as for the Denisons?

At the time this was probably made (late 70s/early 80s) the DPM cadet smock was in production and on issue..........so doubtful if cadet issue.........

Also, around the same period it was incredibly difficult to buy issue DPM gear from surplus stores due to some sort of embargo on selling the stuff at the time, BUT, you could obtain various other commercial garments in the cammo largely intended for the fishing and shooting fraternity (that generally didn't resemble the cut and style of the issue garments)...........this could just be a copy made by a UK MoD manufacturer for said market, but in this instance actually made to an older obsolete MoD pattern (1960 pattern) when the rest of the Army at the time were being issued the 68 pattern.....? It could have been made for foreign armies, but not aware of any using this pattern in DPM (the Irish Army for example using the old green issue and some Middle Eastern forces using a "duck-hunter" cammo type that was dreadfully coloured and poorly made..........

There again, it just may be the kind of thing sold by either Survival Aids, Silverman's, etc, around the period although again I have never seen this pattern offered or reproduced by anyone before.........

I do have a couple of 68 pattern copies, fairly good in most details, but made in tropical weight DPM cloth and fitted with 1950s/60s era metal zippers and with a greenish hylon lining.........they are marked "Bermans" (the famous film and theatrical suppliers).........