Austin K6 Breakdown Gantry

ted angus

I am wondering if anyone could help me with a illustration showing the stowage for all the kit on this vehicle please ?

I am also after info on how the runner beam is secured at the forward end when being used as a jib. All the model makers drawings I have seen show it resting on the forward slope of the bod well- But I recalll crawling over one in Cyprus in 1971 seem to recall the ladder type assembly which is the forward support when the beam is horizontal had an extended foot for anchoring when the beam was used as a jib. All help or pictures gratefully received.

Thank You

TED

I am wondering if anyone could help me with a illustration showing the stowage for all the kit on this vehicle please ?

I am also after info on how the runner beam is secured at the forward end when being used as a jib. All the model makers drawings I have seen show it resting on the forward slope of the bod well- But I recalll crawling over one in Cyprus in 1971 seem to recall the ladder type assembly which is the forward support when the beam is horizontal had an extended foot for anchoring when the beam was used as a jib. All help or pictures gratefully received.

Thank You

TED

Hi Ted,

I have just what you need, illustrations of the stowage in the rear, looking left and right. Will send them later this evening. I have been involved with a few K6 Gantry's over the years and should have some photos of the framework devoid of canvas as well.

regards Richard

Hi Ted,

Here are the stowage drawings for the Austin Gantry.

The photos I mentioned are prints and could be anywhere at present, but as soon as I find them, will scan a few over to you. They were taken at REME Borden in the museum's workshop over 20 years ago, I think it had come back from Cyprus, body is off and being cleaned up, so should be some details for you.

regards, Richard

K6 gantry stowage LH.jpg

K6 gantry stowage RH.jpg

Richard fantastic , Many Thanks

TED

Hi Ted,

Glad it is of help to you. Your other question about the jib in the elevated position. The travelling chain block is secured at the rear end, think it was a kind of clip arrangement, then the front end was dropped down, you will see two pins sticking out the sides, these were what the retainer locked onto to secure it to the floor, I think, these details escape me as I have only used the gantry in a horizontal position. The high lift position was rated at 15cwt.

regards, Richard