Humber heavy utility

Jimmy F

The first one looks like a Bedford MW, they have a distinctive bonnet side. The Humber FWDs have a big brush guard in front of the radiator which is quite high and cycle type mudguards which would make it difficult to casually lean on unless your about 6ft4in (guestimate !)

The second one looks like a 'Monty' open style Humber 4x2 car, so getting closer. One of those would be nice to motor about in.

4 minutes ago, brown cow said:

The first one looks like a Bedford MW, they have a distinctive bonnet side. The Humber FWDs have a big brush guard in front of the radiator which is quite high and cycle type mudguards which would make it difficult to casually lean on unless your about 6ft4in (guestimate !)

The second one looks like a 'Monty' open style Humber 4x2 car, so getting closer. One of those would be nice to motor about in.

Glad we got close!  I believe this image may be of models made for the film.

Hotel Sahara.jpg

This was the beauty which was being sold in Holland last year - for around £40,000 as I recall.

HumberFWD.jpg.e30dab28a1bbf8f6f4f9601046caf927.jpg

And this appeared on this forum a few years ago - the owner popped up with it but no more developed on that thread.  Also a beauty and original.  There's something about these large Humbers!

HumberSnipe2.jpg.a8842994bc688b9ec320289d16ccf700.jpg

• Like 3

I am sure that it is a Bedford but with the earlier type of bonnet side. These originally had a piece of wire mesh attached to the inside face of an oval opening but these were rather fragile and were replaced in production by ones on the rather artistically painted Bedford in Rupert's post. Those late ones were just slots pierced into the sheet metal. The one with the guy leaning on it has home made slats added to an early type one that has lost its wire mesh. The early and late designs were interchangeable so can turn up on any date of Bedford.

David

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David Herbert said:

I am sure that it is a Bedford but with the earlier type of bonnet side. These originally had a piece of wire mesh attached to the inside face of an oval opening but these were rather fragile and were replaced in production by ones on the rather artistically painted Bedford in Rupert's post. Those late ones were just slots pierced into the sheet metal. The one with the guy leaning on it has home made slats added to an early type one that has lost its wire mesh. The early and late designs were interchangeable so can turn up on any date of Bedford.

David

Not my thing at all: but I can see the similarity.  All the best.  A

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

I am looking at the propeller shafts and they are different, at each end, the book shows them to be the same was there a production change, or are these part chev. or othere type?

that is they should be had splicer type at each end, and not have the extra long bit.

as below

Unknown.thumb.jpeg.6d327ea3b2d466fe39435ef078c68894.jpeg

Hi Rupert

I just went to the shed and pulled out the drive shafts from my project, not fitted yet. A bit dark but they are as in the parts book.  Your vehicle being early could be different but unlikely. My vehicle was fitted with a diff from a car of the era which has a higher ratio and the shaft was lengthened by about an inch because the civvy diff looks to have smaller bearings and not as bulky as the military diff. I did get the original diff as well luckily.

regards, Andrew

WIN_20240212_17_15_49_Pro.jpg

I came across this photo this evening on the BAOR Locations website.  It was taken by a chap called George Frost, to whom credits, therefore, belong.  It is from the troops occupying Austria, though, I suspect, those aren't them in the picture!  Shame the light has hidden the markings.

CourtesyGeorgeFrostinAustria45-46.jpg.1369fea1ff5cf0c3e267b1de7994b661.jpg

• Like 3