Fordson Wot2

jerichoe1961

Hi everyone, This is my second introduction (not sure what I have to do to get past this stage :-\) I am trying to work out exactly what engine, gearbox and differential oil I should be using for my 1943 Fordson WOT2 I have been given some advice already for which I am very grateful but wondered if anybody else had an opinion. Is it really that important!! I spoke to Morris Lubrication and they suggested Golden Film AG140 for the engine although I see that this is primarily a gearbox oil. They also suggested Golden Film SAE40 for the diff. Any suggestions would be gratefully received :-D

Hi everyone, This is my second introduction (not sure what I have to do to get past this stage :-\) I am trying to work out exactly what engine, gearbox and differential oil I should be using for my 1943 Fordson WOT2 I have been given some advice already for which I am very grateful but wondered if anybody else had an opinion. Is it really that important!! I spoke to Morris Lubrication and they suggested Golden Film AG140 for the engine although I see that this is primarily a gearbox oil. They also suggested Golden Film SAE40 for the diff. Any suggestions would be gratefully received :-D

I think someone has got the oil around the wrong way !! AG140 is for the rear axle diff, now the SAE40 could be used in the engine, as could SAE30, depends on ambient temperature when you are using the truck. Gearbox might be AG140 although it could prove a heavy gear change until the oil warmed up.

I use a classic 20/50 motor oil in the V8 engine and EP90 in the gearbox and rear axle in my WOT2. The gearbox in a WOT2 has straight cut gears so EP90 is OK. I checked around in the Early Ford V8 club and 20/50 oil is common with most Ford V8 owners.

Also, don't forget to check ALL the grease nipples on a WOT2 and make sure they all are filled as it's easy to miss them.

Hi again :)

Engine oil is 30 HD (SAE 30). Also used on the distributor shaft (through a little wart-like cap on the side) and the various rods joints and pins using a squirty oil can.

UJ, wheel hubs and drive shaft bearing take #2 grease.

Gearbox, diff, and almost everything else on the truck takes C.600 (SAE 140).

They did change to Hypoid 90 for the gearbox late in the war, but given the differences in Hypoid (EP additive) oil between now and then, and the potential problem of corrosion if you get it wrong, I've been staying clear.

Prod me next week and I'll scan in the lubrication chart.

Morris Golden Film SAE30 and AG140 should be a good bet :)

Edited by Lauren Child