Dodge m37

sim60

Question

Hi, looking for suggestions(ideas) on the way to war and peace the dodge got very hot and boiled over, managed to get home with no problems as was a lot cooler. I have had the radiator re cored and new pump and hoses etc. It doesn't over heat now but cuts out after 20-30 miles as if it`s run out of petrol and if you leave it for a bit will re start and run fine for some more miles. I have cleaned and checked the fuel lines and the pump is working ok and have checked everything else I can think off. It will sit on the drive ticking over for hours(doesn't over heat and sounds fine).Any suggestions would be most helpful. The only think I have not checked is the timing as I cannot work out how to attach my strobe to the shielded plug leads on looking on American sites there appears to be a special adaptor. it runs 24v ignition etc. Thanks Simon

1 answer to this question

It has the symptons of the ignition coil breaking down when it gets hot then working again when cooled down, they are built into the distributor on an M37, I would think they are the same coil unit as in an M38AI Jeep or possibly 24volt Hotchkiss, if its otherwise running ok and not "pinking" and at correct running temperature checking the timing would not be relevant to the problem, it won't have suddenly changed unless you have moved the distributor

Edited by Nick Johns