WW2 campaign Medal?

Desert Rat

It's either the War Medal or the Defence Medal, my money would be on the Defence as this had black lines on the ribbon to denote the blackout. Usually when only one ribbon is worn it's the 39-45 Star, but perhaps these chaps didn't serve overseas hence they would only be entitled to the War and Defence Medals.

It's either the War Medal or the Defence Medal, my money would be on the Defence as this had black lines on the ribbon to denote the blackout. Usually when only one ribbon is worn it's the 39-45 Star, but perhaps these chaps didn't serve overseas hence they would only be entitled to the War and Defence Medals.

They both served overseas - Italy then Austria.

Agreed, but it's possible. The 39-45 Star was issued first when it was officially referred to as the 39-43 Star, then the Africa Star, but I can't see it being either of these., The lines which seem black are a give away for the Defence Medal although it's always difficult with a monochrome image. He could have just stuck on a medal ribbon for the photo. there are pre-made pin back ribbons for all of these WW2 campaign ribbons he could have just used one of these. Sometimes it's easy to read too much into why things are so in actual wartime photographs. Anyone who has tried to complete a mannequin to show a certain serviceman at a certain date will pull their hair out when photographic evidence always seems to show that things weren't as neat and well defined as we would all like to think!

Worth noting that many troops did not receive "gongs" until well after WW2 and demob.......especially those stuck outside the UK..........the 39-45 Star and Africa Star were available and worn before the end of hostilities but many of the other gongs didn't achieve issue until well after 45...........

My grandfather was demobbed in late-45 but got his medals via post during 1946-47 (he finished the war in Northern Germany - 51st HD Division).........and he shoved 'em in the boxes straight into his sock-drawer........!