CVRT heat exchanger hoses

Lewis Garner

Hello all,

I've recently taken out our Spartan engine to replace with a recon. Just flicking through Timbos Sabre engine change thread and I noticed the heat exchanger hose diagram. I checked our hoses in relation to that and they've been the other way round.

photo4_zps7665a67a.jpg

Looking at Timbos handy drawing (thankyou!) on our vehicle the lower bulkhead union goes to point 3, and the top goes to point 4. My question is have our hoses always been wrong and Timbos drawing is correct, or is our vehicle correct as it is?

Lewis

Lewis

I've just rechecked my EMERS which tells me what each pipe is. If we stick with the 1,2,3,4 as in my drawing the flow is as follows:

1=engine oil inlet

2=engine oil outlet

If you look where these pipes go into the oil pump and oil filter respectively I think there are arrows embossed to remind you of the flow.

As for the transmission:

3=transmission oil inlet

4=transmission oil outlet

Annoyingly though it doesn't state which pipe subsequently goes where, BUT I'm now starting to think does it actually matter, for the transmission oil at least? Looking at the diagram of the exchanger there doesn't appear to be any reason why the thing wont work perfectly well in reverse.. I do have a spare gearbox in the garage so can see if that has arrows on it indicating the direction of flow...

Cheers

Tim

Just had a look, and can't see anything obvious, but then it is hidden behind my Series 1/ Storage skip so not that easy to see!! The parts list is not much use either, maybe somebody will be along shortly with a definitive answer!

Cheers

Tim

I hope so, on my new recon pack it confirms that 4 is indeed outlet and 3 is inlet as you said. The top hose obviously goes off to filter, which in turn goes to the upper fitting of the two on the gearbox, then the bottom bulkhead hose goes directly to the lower gearbox fitting. On the filter there is an arrow pointing away from the engine toward gearbox but it's slightly curved also, so could it be direction of flow or simply the way to undo the filter housing? This is turning out to be more of a headache than I first thought! Chris? :-D

Better to know than not! Might see you there, I think we'll be going as visitors on the Sunday

Lewis make sure you say hello if you do mine is the green and brown Spartan, Nigel will hopefully also be bringing his so we'll have a couple trundling around. If I'm not there I will probably be found grubbing about under the Saladin, or if I have given up I'll be in the beer tent..!

Tim