Towing artillery piece

Hi,

I'm working my way through the minefield of construction and use regulations and am wondering about the legality of towing a gun, overall length in towed configuration 9.45 metres. It has only two wheels in contact with the ground when being towed, all the regs seem to talk about 4 wheel trailers.

Is towing this gun behind any suitable vehicle legal?

It would all have to be about weights, lighting, and signage I think.

If it is over 750 Kg it has to be braked, various complex regulations as to types of braking, but 750Kg absolute.

It would need to have lights and reflectors, and numberplate.

If the barrel sticks out the back it would have to be signed and/or lit to make sure public didn't run into it.

Size and weight of towing vehicle would have to be suitable and depending on your age you might need license category to cover.

It would all have to be about weights, lighting, and signage I think.

If it is over 750 Kg it has to be braked, various complex regulations as to types of braking, but 750Kg absolute.

It would need to have lights and reflectors, and numberplate.

If the barrel sticks out the back it would have to be signed and/or lit to make sure public didn't run into it.

Size and weight of towing vehicle would have to be suitable and depending on your age you might need license category to cover.

It is 9.45 metres long - nearly 31 feet, it weighs nine tonnes of which one tonne is nose weight. Lighting is by means of dedicated board, brakes are from vehicle air supply.

My question is due to being unable to find anything in C&U regs for two wheeled trailer it seems to assume trailer of that weight and length will be four wheeled and possibly drawbar. A two wheeled articulated trailer would be fine but this is drwn via a towing eye in a NATO style pintle

It would be useful to know the approximate years of manufacture of towing vehicle and artillery piece. The older they are the fewer regs apply.

Note most of the advice you get on here will be regarding the legality of towing this, not whether it is advisable!

- MG

It would be useful to know the approximate years of manufacture of towing vehicle and artillery piece. The older they are the fewer regs apply.

Note most of the advice you get on here will be regarding the legality of towing this, not whether it is advisable!

- MG

Thanks Mike - I may not have posted much but I have read extensively in here and am aware of some of the answers I may expect!

Gun and vehicle 1978. Vehicle designed specifically for towing this gun so no problems of mismatch of weights, brakes etc. (unless the designers cocked it up in the first place.)

The pair will attend MV shows and potentially schools, poppy day appeals and village fetes along with the gun crew. Gun will be detached and deployed in firing configuration at show, vehicle will carry display boards and items of kit to further illustrate usage in service of both gun and truck.