Painted reg numbers.

Spood

Question

Having attended many shows and events over the years one thing caught my attention, and that is the practice of stencilling the vehicle reg number on the front bumper and/or the rear bumper/bumperette. Is this legal, and if not has anyone ever been caught for it?

Don

7 answers to this question

Having attended many shows and events over the years one thing caught my attention, and that is the practice of stencilling the vehicle reg number on the front bumper and/or the rear bumper/bumperette. Is this legal, and if not has anyone ever been caught for it?

Don

Hi Don, There are strict regulations regarding size and spacing on number plates in this country but I think as long as you don't space them too far apart or alter them to make a word you should be ok :D That said each traffic cop is different and there will always be one who applies the law to the letter. I have normal correct size/spaced number plates on both my jeep and Chevy cargo but they are magnetic, once I arrive at a show I take them off and leave the unit markings on show, just don't forget to refit them before you leave :laugh:

There are dozens of new regulations covering registration plates, but it is my understanding ( legal talk ... ) that painted number plates were legal, and in fact common, at the time these vehicles were put into service, and remain so today, but only on those vehicles.

Standards do apply. I think the characters had to be 3" high, half inch section thickness, silver or white on a black background, and clearly displayed on the centre or offside of the vehicle. Rear plate lit during hours of darkness.

You would not get away with mounting them on the nearside ( that is a recent thing that was previously illegal, probably EC regulation ) or putting them on a vehicle that was more recent.

You would not get away with mounting them on the nearside ( that is a recent thing that was previously illegal, probably EC regulation ) or putting them on a vehicle that was more recent.

I only mention out of curiosity as my plates are mounted off centre, infact on the offside end of the bumper and only off side by chance as I didn't know this, however I notice that most modern Alfa's have offset plates and they're all on the nearside:undecided: