Saracen direction indicators....

oily

Question

Ok, there I was trundling along, when I realised I hadn't cancelled my left-turn indicator... (Only 500yds or so), only now they aren't working at all...

I checked the bulbs, =all ok,

I checked for loose plugs in recently disturbed engine bay wiring, =all ok

I replaced the flasher unit, (existing one looked as if it was original 1956 item!)

....still no joy!

I decided to investigate the switch....

upon removing it from the panel, it became apparent that the wires were not secured in their respective terminals by the grub screws at all!,...(been ok like this for last 6 yrs!),... Anyway, the way I was holding said wires, it seemed obvious where they were supposed to be, so as I didn't have any manuals with me, I reconnected them and tried it

STILL no joy...

question is could I have damaged the new flasher unit by connecting the wires wrongly?

My Saracen EMERS manuals do not cover my Mk5 Saracen, as mine has indicators, yet in the manuals there is NO MENTION AT ALL OF INDICATORS.... Does anyone have the circuit diagram for the set-up I have in it?:

Lucas SD84 Indicator Switch

Lucas 3 pin 24v Flasher Unit

4x indicator lamps with glass lenses

5 answers to this question

Thanks ever so much for that, Clive..... I'm going to try and sort out my indicators tomorrow afternoon, after work... I have 2 new flasher units, (in case I inadvertently blow one!,-as not the best at interpreting circuit diagrams!),... But these are a great help... I intend taking Saracen down to Thorney Island on Saturday, to help with Baker Barracks 'family day', if I can also adjust the gears in time, too.... Then Saturday evening I'm off down to Okehampton, Dartmoor, to work with the Army Cadets for a week.... Not taking the Saracen though, as it'd bankrupt me!... I have a feeling Saturday is going to be a Lonnng day!