Need advice on 6th armored markings on Jeep, picture included.

Blitzbuggy

Hi there, I want to give my Jeep British markings according to below pictures. 6th armored. Depending on the meaning of the 2 signs, 60 and 50, and the one in the middle of picture 1, I would like to know the exact meaning of them, colour etc. Looking forward, thanks. Jacco van Snippenbergtn.jpg

Jul02~02.jpg

Jacco, hope you have more luck here! The KTR Forum is an option too, Johan Willeart is on there, and is very knowledable about markings.

But you really need to get into contact with John Maestrelango from the MVT, he's the best, markings wise, but not online anywhere!

Re. the pictures and texst on your post, If you press the top left A/A button, you can normally type, do not know why it automatically sets it to the 2nd button, which is a pain!

Cheers,

Lex

Jacco

Try to get a copy of the book: From D-Day to VE-Day, The British Solider by Jean Bouchery. It comes in 2 volumes, volume 2 is 'Organisation, Armament , Tanks & Vehicles' and has a full description of all British vehicle markings, and all the descriptions of colours, numbers, signs and how they are worked out as well as sizes, locations and fonts. It also has the structures of all regiments/divisions and how many vehicles, types etc. were used. Its a great source and well worth the price (not cheap).

Volume 1 is about uniforms, insignia for troops and personal equipment so that's very useful as well. I think it was originally written in French but has an English version in Hard back.

I just tapped it into Amazon.co.uk and they have them (plus a soft cover smaller version) not at all cheap but full of information.

If you can't stretch to that tell me actually what you want and I will work it our from the book and try and scan you the relevant pages.

Andy

This is a bit of a guess because my references aren't clear. The two-coloured arm of service square is, judging by the contrast between the two colours, probably the white over blue of the Royal Signals. the numbers 50 and 60 would be red, to contrast with the white and blue. The 50 and 60 I'm not certain about but I think the 50 signifies Armoured Brigade HQ and the 60 signifies Infantry Bde HQ. So the Jeeps belong to Royal Signals attached to the Armoured and Infantry Brigade HQ's of 6th Armd Div. I've done too much supposing here so somebody please confirm or disagree!

Ivor

That appears to be absolutely correct according to the book I mention above. I've managed to scan a page from it (sorry its not very good) It shows The White & Blue square as Royal signals vehicles and as they are attached to the particular unit of the armoured unit they insert the number to correspond to that unit. Therefore 50 is as you say the HQ Armoured Brigade of an Armoured division and 60 the HQ Infantry Brigade of the Armoured Division (the pure Infantry Division/Brigade numbers are in the next batch below on the picture). If you wanted to mark your Jeep as attached to another unit just pick the appropriate number. Elsewhere in the book it does show that that number for Royal Signals are indeed Red not White as per normal units as I guess half the background is white.

The sign in the middle of the photo doesn't seem to be either a unit marking or divisional sign as the 'standard' marking is explained in the book as just the two outer ones. However there would I guess have been a number of variations on a theme.

SCAN0051.jpg

HI IVOR

It seems you are spot on it is fair to suppose that it is white over blue and you would right to say the Royal Signals

this a problem of black and white photos as to the unit serial numbers again your 50/60 are correct according to my

new copy of unit serial numbers 1939 /45

WALLY