Op Motorman Centurion 165 AVREs

Peter4456

The only time tracked armour was operationally deployed in Northern Ireland during 'the Troubles' was on 31st July 1972 during Operation Motorman, the British Army's operation to remove barricades and stop 'no go' areas.

It seems that at least two Centurion 165 AVREs were landed in Londonderry using landing craft from HMS Fearless. The turrets were reversed, the guns covered with tarpaulins and 'Royal Engineers' was (badly) handpainted on the side skirts.

The photos show two different AVREs, one of which is 32 BA 33, but does anyone know how many were landed?, reg numbers? and if they have survived?

Op Motorman Cent (1).jpg

Op Motorman Cent (2).jpg

There was aChieftain in Lissanelly Barracks in Omagh but was there around 1968 time. Itwas used as a training tool by the 4/7 DG when they left to go to Sennelager onChieftain. It arrived on a transporter and left the same way. It only touchedthe ground in the confines of Lissanelly Camp.

As far as I recall the TWO AVREs were used in Londonderry to remove concretedin barricades and were returned to mainland UK as soon as the operation wascompleted.

That rings a bell.

I remember reading a book (can't remember which one) about a unit receiving a Chieftain for trials or training whilst they were serving in Northern Ireland.

I have seen the bloody picture but can't remember where - that's going to annoy me now.

Still Peter - If I can remember where I saw the picture I shall put it on the forum.

Markheliops

There was aChieftain in Lissanelly Barracks in Omagh but was there around 1968 time. Itwas used as a training tool by the 4/7 DG when they left to go to Sennelager onChieftain. It arrived on a transporter and left the same way. It only touchedthe ground in the confines of Lissanelly Camp.

As far as I recall the TWO AVREs were used in Londonderry to remove concretedin barricades and were returned to mainland UK as soon as the operation wascompleted.

Don't tell anyone. In 1976 a Scorpion was smuggled into Lisanelly in a container so that gunners could do conversion training (15/19H went to Omagh from Falling Barstool in 1974 as a Chieftain regiment and left Omagh for Tidworth to rerole in recce).

But nobody knows this, so keep schtumm, ok?

The Cent ARV's were used to clear a path through the barricades in Londonderry's Bogside and Creggan Estates. We then followed immediately afterward to take up pre arranged locations ie.. St Joseph's School in the Creggan, As you may have guessed we were met with heartwarming banter and cups of tea thrown still in their flasks than we were able to deal with never mind drink :)

Infact Bernadette Devlin was one of the early visitors to the gates requesting our attendance to a Republican party on the first day of arrival.