Chieftain genny engine parts

Caddy

Good evening all,

Does anyone know whether it's possible to get a replacement Hydraulic Pump for the genny engine (the one that powers the left hand radiator fan.

66646B3F-902A-4353-9C34-9EC326788C31-519-000000C8E498CC41.jpg

5A3B6DB9-C54B-411B-A61E-B9247DEF1D78-519-000000C8EE9BA227.jpg

Cheers

Paul

I thought that looked like a Plessey pump, although it has an FV number in the parts list it could well be a commercial item.

A bit of research and the pump was supplied by Commercial Hydraulics Keelavite Ltd., Tachbrook Park, Warwick. Their part number could be W88248888. this is for NSN 4320-99-819-7542

Edited by Richard Farrant

• 2 weeks later...
Just in case anyone is interested this pump is a David Brown tractor. £80.

It looks like a Group 1 or 2 gear pump, standard off the shelf, prob a clockwise rotation (altho they can be reversed easily!)

Bout £80 - £100 is right.

What happens is the Steel gears inside rotate in bushes in either end.

Bushes wear after a while causing the steel gears to cut into the Ally pump housing resulting in a throw away item!

Bad oil and contamination also cause this but not as much.

WORD OF WARNING!!!

If replacing ANY part of a hydraulic system with new due to this sort of failiure make shure the system is drained of old oil (flush if can) and replace any filters also.

It can be expensive but think about putting your new pump/motor into a system thats had metal swarf and contamination running round it, new unit wont last that long!

Also make sure you prime it with clean oil before installing. Pour into all ports and rotate by hand to get it inside. Put some more in just before you fit hoses, even pour some down hose before fitting. Will give you a fighting chance of not doing any internal damage on start up due to oil starvation!

If I can be of any further help dont hesitate to ask, I do this for a living!

Thanks for the heads up.

I think there was half a beach in the hydraulic system as even the gears were worn and damaged.

The system will be flushed and all filters changed (it's amazing what spares we've got when we look).

Thanks for the heads up.

I think there was half a beach in the hydraulic system as even the gears were worn and damaged.

The system will be flushed and all filters changed (it's amazing what spares we've got when we look).

Make sure you get right into the oil cooler too mate, thoes grains of sand are just sitting there lurking waiting for new oil and pump/motor before getting out n screwing your system!!!! Slippery little fookers they are!!!!;)

Some would say it's already screwed as it's a chieftain....

Going to need several gallons of hydraulic fluid.

If you were closer mate could lend you my filter/flushing rig.

Sorry mate, but if you want to be sure and save further expense then got to be done.

Some of the horrors I see when people try to save money and DIY the job...! Scarey.

not draining the system, re-using the OLD OIL they drained out in first place, normally emulsified (Water ingress) or black as hell!! re-using old (internally collapsed sometimes due to contamination!!) filters etc.

Not priming the pump is a normal thing, thinking the system will suck the oil in straight away and all good, then demanding a refund a few weeks later caus the pump was knackered when new!!! Open it up and innards scoured to hell caus of oil starvation!! Just had one on a £3000 motor, clever dick got his fitter (who is only a sparks!!) to fit one I supplied, just ordered a new one 2 weeks later....and wants me to fit this time!!! LOL;)

Welcome to the world of HYBOLLOX mate!

I know, been there, seen it done.

There's 2 rule I like:

1. Before you start read the f"£%ing manual

2. Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.