More CVRT woes

guykay

Took Samson out last week to a local show. Part way it started losing power eventually giving up altogether half way up a hill. Persuaded the good lady to bring out the van with some tools & a set of spare plugs. Grovelled about a bit in the engine compartment changing all six plugs( on the off chance this could be the problem) fired it up, no difference, seemed to be running on 3 or 4 pots very roughly. After further debate I decided to try for home before calling in some recovery. Crawled & spluttered back down the hill & then it chimed in on all 6 pots & taxed home like a dream. Discretion being the better part of foolishness, I did not turn around & try to get to the show( it was by now raining & I was a little cheesed off)

Bottom line, any clues as to what it could be, there's plenty of fuel on the tank (I'm not quite that daft - although the fact that I own a tracked vehicle may give lie to that!!)

Hi Guy,

I had a bit of this with my Sabre, ending up with it breaking down at Beltring while doing a convoy of the site! I swapped the coil which seemed to help. Another thing to check would be the electronic ignition module.

Chris

Thanks chaps, I'll check the fuel filter this weekend. If it is the electronics, how easy/difficult is it to change the electronic ignition pack. Is it on the distributor?I assume changing the coil is pretty straightforward as it is on top of the engine & will only require minor acrobatics

Guy

Dont know about the module but the coil is pretty straightforward. Try that first, there is a good chance that will sort it. Hoping to start my Sabres new engine for the first time tomorrow, so fingers crossed! Seem to be CVRTs being rebuilt all over the place at the moment - great stuff!!

Hello

I had same problems this week on my Spartan .:nut: Wet plugs, first thinking was: engine flooded. Also changed plugs then, no effect. After checking the fuel Filter i found some water in the filterbowl.

It seemed that condensation water was sucked in the fuel system caused by loading it on a trailer. So water from the bottom of the fuel tank was sucked into the fuel lines.

So first check the fuel filter.

-If water or debris found clean filter and then disconnect the vertical fuel tube on the bulkhead (RH of drivers shoulder).

-Bleed with fuel pump until clean fuel is pumped out and reconnect (use some rags, fuel will spill out).

-There is a 9/16 brass nut at the rear base of the carb body (the lower one). There you can drain the water from the carb (with fuel pump OFF!)

I then connected filterbase inlet with a hose to a jerry-can to make sure clean fuel is delivered.

Started on the button.

Please be carefully, look for good ventilation, open all hatches. Avoid any sparks flames.....

Stay safe :-).

Hello

I had same problems this week on my Spartan .:nut: Wet plugs, first thinking was: engine flooded. Also changed plugs then, no effect. After checking the fuel Filter i found some water in the filterbowl.

It seemed that condensation water was sucked in the fuel system caused by loading it on a trailer. So water from the bottom of the fuel tank was sucked into the fuel lines.

So first check the fuel filter.

-If water or debris found clean filter and then disconnect the vertical fuel tube on the bulkhead (RH of drivers shoulder).

-Bleed with fuel pump until clean fuel is pumped out and reconnect (use some rags, fuel will spill out).

-There is a 9/16 brass nut at the rear base of the carb body (the lower one). There you can drain the water from the carb (with fuel pump OFF!)

I then connected filterbase inlet with a hose to a jerry-can to make sure clean fuel is delivered.

Started on the button.

Please be carefully, look for good ventilation, open all hatches. Avoid any sparks flames.....

Stay safe :-).

Sound advice, petrol is not to be messed with!!! A couple of years ago a mate volunteered to help with my Samson which had a petrol tank full of cruddy water. All we had to drain it with was the top off a spray paint. Took him 4 hours trapped in the gloom in the back of the hull - I kept checking he was still conscious every 15 minutes or so - he's not offered to help since!!!!

Removed & drained the filter bowl. At least 3/4 full water & other assorted crud. Reassembled & flushed through until clean petrol ran from the pipe. Drained the carb float bowl, how easy is that!!

Fired her up & took her for a run. All seems well now. The fuel filter was actually rusting do the water must have been in there some time. I will order a new oneaqevyraj.jpg

Picky of fuel drained from bowl with water at bottomgavape4e.jpg

Privacy of me attempting to drain carb float bowl

Nice it runs now!:-)

I think to 99% this was the reason for the problem. When driving a slope, water can be sucked into the fuel system and cause misfires or completely stop the engine.

Make sure to drain or clean the main fuel tank thoroughly or problem will return most likely when she enters a hill or ramp:nut:.

Good Luck, i've got haematomas everywhere from this comfortable draining work in the engine bay ;)

Job mates tomorrow will think i've got a real bad beating this weekend :-D.

Last question

I have seen mention on other threads about the horrors of removing fuel tanks from Spartans, is it the same with the Samson? Is there a way of draining the tank in situ? And if it has to be removed, is there then any way of cleaning out the tank? I vaguely recall someone mentioning a removable end plate?

Hi Guykay

I don't know Samsons, just my Spartan. On my Spartan (ex belgian) there is a bypass valve right behind the drivers seat, left to the fuel pump. There you can switch the fuel supply form instead to the carb, to a draining pipe near the engine drain plug (will try it this week).

From my experiences some years as a service technician of the swiss Caterpillar dealer, the best way to deal with dirty fuel tanks is to built them out and flush them with a hot waterpressure cleaner (sorry i don't know the correct english word for it):-X.

Then use pressurized air to get the water out and let it dry completely.

(fight water with water:cool2: )

I know I said that was my last question, but I've checked my manual & the Samson has a similar valve to the spartan, with a drain valve situated over an access panel in the hull. But I have had a look at the valve adjacent to the fuel filter & cannot see how to operate it. There is a spring loaded cover over the valve, but no obvious lever to switch fuel from the filter to the drain line

It sounds like the lever may have been broken off your valve, as the spring loaded cover should keep indicate the normal running position.

You can also access parts of the inside of the fuel tank by removing the commanders seat on non-turret variant CVRTs. Be careful with regard to fumes, sources of ignition if you do this with fuel still in the tank.