Another (basic) gremlin

Jimmy F

So, the Morris isn't starting. I've traced it to the fuel system. She was only running on one tank sof the previous owner has fitted an electric facet pump with rubber tubes to the fuel filter and then from the fuel filter to the carb.

There is also a rubber tube that goes from the fuel pump to the original fuel line, which has been cut about 10 inches from where it would meet the fuel tank switch, with the newer rubber tube fitting over the cut end of the original line and jubilee clips holding everything in tight.

I've spent the day underneath taking off and cleaning all the rubber lines, replacing the jubilee clips and trying to figure it out. After much head scratching and finding nothing the pump just isn't pulling fuel through.

The tank is about half full, but the truck is on a slight (very slight) gradient. Still, it is pulling through a small amount of fuel, just not enough to start it apparently.

The pump is working so I assume the lines aren't airtight, but can't find it! The rubber tubes are 8mm and the jubilee clips seem to be working. Any suggestions?

The rubber all seemed in good order so I wasn't too worried about that, plus the pump is a recent addition so I didn't believe it to be that.

i did make a school boy error and didn't check the valve on the actual tank (where the switch for the reserve fuel tank is). Turns out that was the source of the problem. I suspect the seal in that has gone. I have covered that and sealed it which has temporarily solved the problem. Now onto a permanent fix!

one of the joys of transparent fuel line, you can see the muck! I too have had rubber line collapse internally, fine when everything was still, or idle, but as soon as power was applied the pipe sucked in and starved the fuel. By the by, have you checked the actual pick up pipes inside the tanks?

Fuel lines, water lines, air and fluid brake lines after a while can succumb to the elements.

Sun, dirt, road salt, water, cleaning chemicals etc, they all have an effect on these components.

Rubber will break down after a while and may look ok on the outside.

When manufactured, hoses are made in layers, especially if there is a braid inside them.

After a while the lining layer can break down seperating the layers and leaking out.

Ever seen BUBBLING on the outside of a brake hose or fuel line?? Thats it!

The opposite can also happen and instead of causing bubbling the vaccum in the line can cause the internal wall to collapse and block/restrict the flow.

Always check these hoses on a regular basis, they can go at any time, no warning especially now summers here and the rain is getting warmer....!!!!!;)

I had to replace all the brakes on my WC54 every cylinder had just rotted away to black gunge. I was in much trepidation about the brake lines. Fortunatley! Somewhere in her history all the metal lines had been replaced with Cupro Nickel. Despite obvious age it all came apart and went back together perfectly. Flexi hose were a diffrent matter though.

Glad youv'e found the problem,

one thing for reference, rubber hoses onto metal lines secured by jubilee clips can cause an issue if you use to large a clip and to compensate tighten it down too much. A 'flat' can develop under the worm that then can permit air to enter the system, the same thing applies to rad hoses except here a leak is obvious.

Pete

Cheers Pete, that is something I will need to address. I would like to get both fuel tanks working and refit proper metal lines, but that will be a job to take on over the winter. This season I plan to just keep her on the road and enjoy her.

Don't like jubilee clips. Prefers either supa hose clamps(one bolt clamps) or O clips, single ear or twin! Don't even like them on air brake lines, sooner have a swage crimped ferrule for permanent connection.

Edited by Hoseman