CVRT intensifier night sight testing

BRDM Driver

Having fired up (fortunately not literally) my turret electrics for the first time, I'm working my way around checking all the electrical bits and bobs.

The gunners night sight makes a brief fizz from the control box (assume that's the hv power supply) and then there's a click from inside the sight.

No sign of any glow through the eye pieces though.

Is there a safe way to check the hv supply and anything else i can check, or should I just assume the tube is dead?

(I guess a mains tester screwdriver would probably pick up something near the hv cable?)

Any help appreciated.

(I'm sure there are posts about this somewhere but my searches have not found them)

Having fired up (fortunately not literally) my turret electrics for the first time, I'm working my way around checking all the electrical bits and bobs.

The gunners night sight makes a brief fizz from the control box (assume that's the hv power supply) and then there's a click from inside the sight.

No sign of any glow through the eye pieces though.

Is there a safe way to check the hv supply and anything else i can check, or should I just assume the tube is dead?

(I guess a mains tester screwdriver would probably pick up something near the hv cable?)

Any help appreciated.

(I'm sure there are posts about this somewhere but my searches have not found them)

Memory tells me that the II night sight hummed or fizzed when in use. Maybe the power is cutting out?

Something you must bear in mind is that (istr) the II sight would burn out if exposed to white light. For this reason, there is a shutter which activates when exposed to bright light (eg if the gun is fired). You'll need to test it at night, preferably under lots of stars or the moon. Or I suppose street lights.

But I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

You can test the night sight in the day but you need to cover the lens with either some cardboard or a wooden cover with a few small holes in it about the size of a old half penny you want about 4 or 5 of them. That should let just enough light through to give you the green glow you want.