Clansman in Saracen

trophy160

My recently acquired Mk6 Saracen (up-armoured in 1980) has the remnants of a Larkspur system in it, so connecting cables and three harness boxes. Having looked around, I can see that to even get a basic intercom will be expensive and probably not that easy to get the parts I want and to add radios will be more of the same. It would be a whole lot easier to buy and fit Clansman, I already have some Clansman radio. So my question is could a Mk6 operating post 1980 have had Clansman fitted?

In official terms probably not. I have EMER COMMUNICATIONS INSTALLATIONS A 000 this is the index that lists all the EMERs relevant in Oct. 1982

FV600 series is covered in K 020 - K 559 it all seems to relate to Larkspur I'm afraid.

We got rid of our Saracens just prior to conversion from Larkspur to Clansman, so doubt if any had Clansmann fitted.

What Bazz says. As I recall our regiment got Sultan about six months before Clansman (in 1979?) and had to fit Larkspur in Sultan (fun ... NOT!) then replace it with Clansman. If memory serves, Sultan before Clansman was deliberate because there was a reason (now long forgotten) why Clansman and Saracen ACV were incompatible.

I've got a part working Larkspur system, radio and intercom and now got the headsets, but disconnected so not powered up. Overlaid with this is a pretty bog standard clansman with power box and two headset boxes allowing 4 headsets. Its so much easier and while it might not be strictly as per it left the military, well I'm not running a museum, anyway, a few snips of the zip ties and unbolting the coms boxes and its back to original.

Edited by simonm